dvd on PC (US)

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by manfred, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manfred Registered Member

I (living in France) burned for my friends in Texas
    and Oklahoma a DVD. So I burned it in NTSC there
    is no way to read them on their PCs. It's surely not
    the regioncode, because I put my own films on the
    DVD. The DVD run on my PC in France.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

If they're running it on their pc it shouldn't matter if it's NTSC or PAL. I don't think. I've got several Pal dvd's that I watch on DVD. On PC. Is it a proper DVD? Are you using some type of proprietary software that is using its own codec or something? Does the DVD play on others computers in France? Computers without whatever software you're using to make the DVD? What software are you using? I agree that it's likely not the region code, unless you have it set to make a region code, or if it does it automatically.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. manfred Registered Member

I burned the DVD on Sony DRU 500 AX. Burning software is sonic My DVD,
    and my Player software is Power DVD. The DVD plays on PCs and on DVD-
    Players in Europe.

8. manfred Registered Member

I burned the DVD on Sony DRU 500 AX. Burning software is sonic My DVD,
    and my Player software is Power DVD. The DVD plays on PCs and on DVD-
    Players in Europe.

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Sorry, bud.

Don't know what to tell you. I guess another question would be does it play in any other computers/dvd players in Oklahoma? Has your friend tried it elsewhere?

Odd that an NTSC dvd should play in a PAL dvd player. But, I think I remember reading somewhere that PAL equipment often converts NTSC to PAL automatically. Is this what happens? You can try using DVD decrypter or some other software to find out if, in fact, it is getting a region code placed in it's code automatically by your software. Or, you might try just making it PAL since computers don't have any problem with PAL or NTSC. Another possibility is you're using the wrong type of media. -R, +R, RAM.

Here's a site where you can likely get more in depth answers than here. www.videohelp.com. It's been awhile since I messed around with burning dvds. And I was never an expert anyhow. Another site is www.doom9.org. This site has lots of info, but no forums.

As to software, Sonic Scenarist is the top of the line. Of course, it costs like 30,000 dollars or something, so in other words. . . nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Or, what's the other one? Maestro? Never used that one much. But it's another professional level program. But, I doubt that these would really fix the problem. They would allow you to create more professional looking dvd's if you get the hang of them. They are somewhat complicated.

Hope you get it worked out. Try videohelp.com. I bet someone there can steer you in the right direction. And, if you get it figured out, come back and post the solution here. Just for completeness' sake.

10. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

That's a tough one... I think your friend's burner messed up because there is no real difference between DVDs on PCs in NA or Europe. My theory is that either your computer or your friend's burner is messed.

It could also be because the burner is Sony...

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

It is region code mind you.Your DVD is region Locked for Region 2. and your friend in TX has his DVD region locked for Region 1.Please Download Firmware to rectify this.If you find it too hard to do.Please Try DVD-REGION FREE,although it hasnt worked for me.

bye!

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

Did you check Region Locked property of DVD.I am sure they are Region Locked for Region-2.My DVD-ROM-115(COMPAQ PRESARIO) is locked for Region-1.I have rectified this by downloading Firware for this.
    CAUTION:Patching Wrong Firmware might destroy your DVD player completely.Read instructions before doing so...

bye!

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

As nexus say it can be the +/- DVD problem, did it work before shipping, have he tried on other PC/DVD players, have he scratch it?

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

You can bend DVD kunax,upto several degress,without doing anything major to it.It still works...It has a highly effective scratch free coating,i seriously doubt that this can be a problem.

bye!

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

bending is not scratings, you can drill 2-3mm hole in CD and they still work, but i think DVD's has a much much lower fault tolerance. but i never tested it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

My Cousin did.(On DVD of Goodfellas,bought from B&N).He wasnt successful at doing damage...

bye!

17. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Is it just me, or did a mod delete my post from this thread without explanation? If a mod deletes one of my posts, I want an explanation thank you very much.
    If, on the other hand, I'm off my rocker and dreamed the post, feel free to ignore this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.