Linux Problems Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Rick, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hi,

Post if you have any info on Linux,Versions,which Variant is the best etc...You can post your problems here with Linux etc...

Btw,I have some issues with Linux that i was hoping to get help.
    I have a Compaq Presario with Conexant HCF modem and ESS Allegro Sound Card,They are recognized by which Linux?
    bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yamayama Registered Senior Member

Hi,
    you should be able to get a driver for that Conexant modem at linuxant.com. The free version only works at 14.4 kbps if I remember correctly, you pay about $15-$20 to get it working at 56.6 kbps. Once you have it installed you can use KPPP (do a google search on it maybe) to dial up your ISP or whatever.

In relation to the sound cards, you can download the latest ALSA driver, and follow whatever instructions they have on their site to install it. I think that a number of linux distros come with ALSA drivers on the cds, but mine (RedHat Enterprise) doesn't unfortunately - at least I think, Christ, I haven't even checked that yet. I haven't used ALSA yet myself (although I plan to), so I can't help you on that one any more I'm afraid.

Linuxquestions.org is a good resource if you have any other questions that you can't get answered here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Epsilon Prime Over Epsilon Registered Senior Member

Hi, when using linux (mandrax 10.0 gnome 2.4), my screen will occasionally shutters with lines. I've seen this problem (years) before when using win98, and it wad due to a too high of a refresh rate. But i couldn't seem to change the refresh rate on linux--it was only at a fixed value. Is there any way to correct this problem? (am i even on the right track?)

Thank you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

you can change the monitor refresh rate manually by editing the XF86Config-4 in /etc/X11 (if my memory serves me well)
    I advice do to it before logging into X (i.e., with no GUI loaded)
    su as root, go to that dir, open the file (ummm, emacs should do), look up your monitor and change the refresh rate values. save the file, reboot.

cheers!

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

ALSA is cool!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

; getting great results with it with my SB 5.1 and Logitech 5.1 speakers. Sounds even better than on Windows :m:

9. Yamayama Registered Senior Member

I'm looking forward to using it with my Audiophile 2496. I don't suppose you have any experience with Rosegarden by any chance? Coz I plan on using that as well, along with Linux Sampler (...this is off topic tho, so sorry...)

Cheers

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

no, sorry
    no experience with the stuff you mentioned

11. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

12. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

halfway true chapter 6 of my LFS. probability of success 0

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Crap, I haven't played around on Linux for a while. Got Mandrake 10 a while back and decided to install it on my laptop to see if they got the acpi implementation fixed (actually, my laptops implementation is where the fault lies. But, if I remember right it was an easy fix in recompiling the kernel.) So, I install it and it hangs each time right after I pass up the opportunity to go online to get updates. I try again and say ok, let's do the updates (even though I don't have my wireless card set up for it yet) and it hangs again. I figure to myself. Well, pretty much everything should be installed by this time so maybe if I just go ahead and let it start. . . Nope, it goes through startup then it asks me what runlevel to enter. When I choose 3, it says no more processes or something similar (don't recall specifically what the message was) and it just sits there. Not hanging, just not doing anything. Damnit to hell! 9.2 ran ok on here with the exception that it wouldn't shut down properly and restart, and it ran hot with the fan on all the time. But once I recompiled the kernel it was fine. Never had any of these freezing problems. Upsets me a little.

And, I notice when it installs that it says "This is the free download version and does not have commercial software. . .' yadda yadda. That's cool, I say to myself, but then it goes on to say that it won't work with Nvidia or Ati cards because of this? WTF?! Mandrake is becoming a commercial piece of crap, I fear. What is their future anyway? Didn't Red Hat go commercial? And Mandrake is based on Red Hat? Is it now based on Eudora?

blah, enough ranting for one day. I'm sure I'll get it going one of these days when I feel like it.

I don't think I'm in a good enough mood to deal with the idiosyncracies of linux at the moment. Plus, once I do, I'm going to have to figure out how to get my Microsoft wireless card to work. Since M$ surely doesn't have any linux drivers for it. Bastards.

14. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

My experiance with linux is pretty limited, and I find the LFS to be quite "easy", perhaps becuase im just following the well written manual to the letter since this is my first attempt doing a LFS.
    But allready now i can say the knowledge gained sofar, doing the LFS is far greate them installing and playing with any other distro i tried + i will be having my own distro

Im using Slackware 9.1 as my host system to LFS.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I have checked out that site just a little. I think that when I have more time

p When I can turn my attention from my books and this addicting place.

) I'll check it out more in-depth. It would be the best way to learn. Start from the basics and work your way up. If one wants to learn, that's likely to be the surest way of integrating that knowledge without being overwhelmed (which is always a danger with linux. So much to learn, so little time.)

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

that is BS
    it works well with these cards, but without 3D acceleration
    and if you want it, you can always download a free driver at nvidia or ati.com
    though installation may be a little trouble on some of those

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

Is
    • Solaris
    • Redhat 9.0
    compatible with IBM X40? or Compaq Presario Series? ...

bye!

18. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

if they are standard desktop PC, redhat should work.

bye!

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

I HAVE SOME CONCERNS SINCE IBM THINKPAD HAS That Harddrive Shock Protection(when Lap Falls Protection is activated)And also regarding Wireless Tchnology and Bluetooth Available with it...

20. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

does anyone know cedega aka wineX....

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I've subscribed to it. What do you want to know?

22. dmcm01 Guest

Zion: i have read something about your laptop problem on here somewhere *different page, cant think for the life of me where*
    but basicly i think he was saying that he couldnt use it and was looking into how to fix it, maybe it was you i dont know!

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Never mind, I just DL cedega 4.0.1 reasontly but cannot get it to work proberly(the game crashes instantly

), I think i need to fiddle a bit more with it before asking any Q.

is 4.0.1 the newest version, care to share anything newer

, how about point2play, lets turn sciforum in to a warez site

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.