Microsoft Update ... conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Zero, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero Banned Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/07/19/microsoft.security.ap/index.html

Does anyone else smell dirty play here? Does anyone get the feeling the SP2 security update by Microsoft will stop a lot of programs it doesn't like from working? For example, K++, LW, competitor products, et cetera? Maybe even Mozilla and/or Firefox?

I smell a mass conspiracy. Microsoft should've been split up into smaller companies in that antitrust case. The idiotic court decided to let it off the hook with basically zero punishment.

Think about it. Nothing has changed. Microsoft is still strong-arming the market, Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer are STILL tied up with the operating system, plotting to control its consumers, forces its users to accept Microsoft installing whatever they want in user computers remotely, among other things.

Microsoft is still a growing tyranny. It needs to be stopped.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Well bugger me. It does appear that it may stop most programs from working temporarily. I say that as I'm sure many companies will release patches or newer versions to make their software compatible. But I am not happy with it as I fear it will not allow some of the programs I use from working and their manufactorers are no longer working. So, good money will go to waste.

So, if I can, I will not be using this Service Pack until it's been released, reviewed and given the thumbs up by competitors of MS.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

grrrr... that is why firefox and k-lite arent working,
    i downlaoded SP1 to stop it freezing and thn later found out it was my comp overheating

anyway, my firewall stops everthing microsoft except dns info so thoy cant get me. mwuhaha

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

i think they are doing the same thing with LaTeX files on windows, micro's used the extension normally used by lat to be taken up, to force us to comply

8. Firefly Registered Senior Member

vslayer, what firewall are you using, and are you sure it stops Firefox from working??

9. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Zero,

You do, of course, have the option of not using SP2 you know....
    I've been running quite nicely without SP1 for almost a year now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nonetheless, your fears may have some truth to them. Remember that it is ultimately up to the users to determine what software succeeds or not.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Zero you say " Think about it. Nothing has changed. Microsoft is still strong-arming the market, Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer are still tied up with the operating system, plotting to control its consumers, forces its users to accept Microsoft installing whatever they want in user computers remotely, among other things."

I can choose to use any browser I want and do use Netscape without any problems. I also use Real Player , not Windows media player without any problems. I really can't understand why your so upset at something that doesn't have to be used if you don't want to use it. I do have Win 98 SE as my OS maybe that's why I can do this?

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Suddenly Linux downloads will be going up.

12. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

Both this and the original post crack me up. If you really think that MS has a conspiracy to one day enforce their software on everyone, then why are you using their operating system. It reminds me of a friend who ran Windows, but refused to run Windows Update "because he didn't trust MS" (he runs Gentoo Linux now and loves it). If you don't trust Microsoft to do to your computer what they say they do to your computer (as most foreign governments don't), don't run their operating system.

mwuahaha, that firewall is one third-party layer communicating with microsoft-written applications on one end and a microsoft-written kernel on the other. I'm not a OS designer by a long shot, but something tells me if MS wanted to keep track of or stop everyone from using K++ and you're running their operating system, you don't have much of a say in the matter.

P.S. I'm writing this from an XP Pro box. Presonally, I trust MS because doing something like limiting the kind of applications I run based on the charachteristics that you are implying is as smart as selling vacuum cleaners at a feminist convention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.