Help me!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Captain_Crunch, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

I just bought myself an Eluminx keyboard (http://www.eluminx.com/product.asp?pid=4) and a Razer mouse (http://www.razerzone.com/viper.html) Yes, I'm drawn to shiny objects

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The thing is I need to rid my computer of my old multimedia keyboard software, I never used it. When I went into the control panel to add or remove programs it came up with the following error:

I'm guessing this is something to do with the new hardware I just bought as I just ripped my old keyboard out and plugged in the new shiny components. I get the same error message when I try to access any of the administrative options in the control panel so maybe it is something more serious. Maybe a virus?

Does anyone know whats going on? Please help me, Im begging you.

Ooohh, look at the blue shininess.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I know that my friend who has a Razor mouse had to install drivers to use it, maybe you have to download the updated drivers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Ive got a drivers disc but its working great without it. How would this explain the non accessible control panel? Im really confused.

Do you not need to access the control panel to add new hardware? At the moment it aint letting me as if Im on a guest account even although Im on the account I always use. I cant change anything which is really weird.

Cheers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

you're on your computer, right? Why would you have a Guest account? Try making a new account with admin properties. Windows is sometimes silly in that way. Are you even using Windows?

I have never been locked out of my Control Pannel. you don't always have to access the control pannel add new hardware. Try just popping the CD or first disk of the drivers and try finding an installer.

It's strange...

8. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Yeh Im on my computer on the admin account on windows XP, there is no guest account. The computer wont let me into the users bit in control panel either so I cant create a new account unfortunetly.

Any ideas?

I dont want to install any new software just now, I want to remove the old mouse software if you know what I mean before I start installing new software.

9. Least Registered Member

is it your account or is it the "Administrator" account? If it's just an administrative account and not "Administrator," try logging onto the "Administrator" account. Many people fail to set the password for this account so you may be able to log in with that and change things.

Another possibility is someone else installed the drivers on a different account from yours for their username, and you may not have permissions to modify the drivers from your user account. Is there anyone else who uses your computer?

10. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

As Ive previously stated, there is only one account on my computer. Im running Windows XP. There is no other accounts and noone else uses my computer.

Thanks.

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

my mouse is plug n play

12. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Try switching back to your old hardware and trying again. If not, get rid of it manually.
    If all else fails, use linux.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Yeh, Ill try that, thanks for the help people.

14. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Ive found out what the problem was, it was kerio! doh.

Cheers everybody.

15. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Kerio has the potential to be a pretty good firewall, but it has some flaws. Has some problems with detecting port scans. But the execution protection is very handy.

16. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

What would you recommend Alpha? I used to have the free distrobution of ZoneAlarm but found it annoying how you could not download an update of definitions without it downloading and requesting that you upgrade to a trial version of ZoneAlarm Pro all the time. Then you had to redefine the processes which is annoying, Im still doing it with Kerio.

17. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.