Talking with the fishes

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by babelfish, Sep 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babelfish Registered Member

After reading a thread on memory upload, I wondered if MU could be used as a form of universal translator. Imagine uploading the memory of a dolphin (or cuttlefish, or whatever) into a virtual reality enviroment and plugging into those feelings. You could experience what a dolphin sees, feels, and dreams about.

What is there perception of reality? What would 'seeing' with sonar feel like? Do they have a concept of philosophy, or their own history?

Maybe we wouldn't need to look beyond the planet to discover intelligent life.

I just think that if MU is ever feasible then cross-species communication would be the next logical step.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Why would we need a mechanical device to communicate?

When there is telepathy? It´s not so hard really, once get the grip of it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. babelfish Registered Member

True

But it would be handy for those who are not adept.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

There is heavy duty research that is going on to communicate with Dolphins who have the same capacity of intelligence as humans but structured for thier survival in the ocean environment. What is needed is a super computer that can do bidirectional translation between Humans and Dolphins. Once a small group of baby Dolphins are "educated" to communicate with humans, they can teach their specis.

I suspect that research is underway to increase the intelligence of Dolphins, so that they can pick up how to communicate with us, faster. We are doing it to the rats, why not Dolphins?

I think we will have first major breakthrough in about 12 years. I know that does not help you with respect to MU....but someday...

8. Radical Registered Senior Member

9. kmguru Staff Member

"The day after that, the beach was littered with thousands of what turned out to be coral-silicate and kelp-based biomicrocircuitry."

REALLY?

10. babelfish Registered Member

leapin lizards

I live secure in the knowledge that all the tuna I eat is dolphin-free...or is it all the dolphin I eat is tuna-free

Oh, and speaking of opposable digits - did you know that dolphins have prehensile penises

11. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

I read a news article that was talking about this translater coming out in Japan next year that translates your dogs bark into how it is feeling. eg. frustrated, happy, sad, frightened etc.

I wouldn't mind having a chat to a dolphin like in Sea Quest DSV. I was fishing last year under a bridge at just outside the Gold Coast. I cast my rod and caught a fish as soon as my hook went in the water. Didn't catch anything else that day. But what was really cool was that there were seven dophins swimming where we were fishing. That was so cool seeing them out in the wild in a city/canal area like that. Something you don't see everyday. But is was what made the day worth it.

Also, did anyone see that interview with that Gorilla that knew sign language and little kids would ask it questions about todays problems and stuff. And how he/she thinks about how we are treating other Gorillas and animals. I found that something of great interest.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have been touching the tip of an iceberg in relationship to Dolphins, Of course I don't actually do any studies with them.

I was watching some program on the television where some bottle-nosed dolphin was swimming through a shallow with some people filming, and the High pierced squeaks they create for a kind of sonar guidance seemed to me as if the dolphin was saying to it's companion, "Theres something up ahead... " This being a cameraman, it then moved its nose to the left and made another sound as to say "Move this way to avoid it".

It was like it was using the motion of its nose to signal a direction to turn.

I did also think about the possibilities of a dolphins intelligence. Afterall Dolphins are reported to have a high IQ, due to it's intelligence to brain mass ratio.
    The reason the Dolphin has such a high brain mass, is because it uses a preportion of it to see things in Sonar, It squeaks or clicks to send out a doppler of sound and uses its jaw to feel the vibrations from any return.

This would mean they wouldn't just see images of what their eyes can see, but perhaps a map made from sound overlays it also. (That's why they can eat fish why swimming.)

I know you people might think that linking to a creature would be cool, but would it, afterall most creatures don't actually have languages and theres a possibility that emotions would seem alien to them.
    In fact even imagining it is pretty weird, I would believe the worst creature to pick would be a Bug... Especially if there is a human and a rolled up news paper or Car windscreen nearby... It would be lovely.. fluttering around, looking at these blocks of movement and then.... SPLAT! Pancake....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.