Economics needs a Moderator

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Arditezza, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Arditezza Banned Banned

Wow, I hadn't really looked in the Economics forums as of late... but the amount of crap in there that belongs in the cesspool is astounding. Does that fall under a "general" moderator forum, because if it does it sure needs some looking at.

Is anyone up to the task of moderating that forum? It's difficult to wade through the crap. (and don't look at me, I hate authority... especially when it's my own)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arditezza Banned Banned

I nominate Fraggle Rocker.

He's an astute and fair fellow. Smart too.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

I'll nominate myself. :m:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think the general policy is to nominate yourself and never someone else.

8. Arditezza Banned Banned

Bah.

That's not written anywhere. If he accepts, then we can put him on the ballot. Self-nomination only is silly and probably a good reason why the voting threads are so littered with crap. At least if someone else nominates you, you know you have backing.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Goofy always insists on self-nominations.

10. Arditezza Banned Banned

I personally think that it adds to the drama that always occurs upon voting. Look at the past voting threads for examples. If people were allowed to nominate others and the candidates could accept or reject the nomination, then we could put the top four candidates with nominations on the ballot and there would be less stupid debate on who belongs there and who doesn't. Self-nominating is also not good for the forum if you end up having to vote for the lesser of the retards.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Doesn't a mod or the adm have to post a thread like this to be legit?

12. Arditezza Banned Banned

A thread like what? Suggesting a change in the way we look at voting for moderators? Part of having an open government is letting people have input, WellCooked, and your complete misunderstanding of that is yet another reason why you have no business being a moderator. It's not about who has power, bub. It's about who has a say in matters, which isn't just the big people in charge. Welcome to the Open Government Democracy.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Actually Arditezza this is a dictatorship not a democracy, just ask Porfiry about that, its just Porfiry would like to make this somewhat democratic, even so you will need to get his approval before a moderator can be elected, and if he rejects there nothing you can do about it (hence the dictatorship). In fact you will need Porfiry's approval for any change what so ever to the forum for it to actually happen. Even the mods have to ask Porfiry (except maybe Goofyfish as Porfiry puts much trust in him) Welcome to a open psuedo-democratic dictatorship.

and if I'm elected it was because I know how the pecking order works around here, and it will be “yes sir Porfiry!” from here on.

So you can run your nominees thread, run your election, but in the end your going to have to ask (or hope) Porfiry approves.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  14. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

That is more of an administrative policy. In early mod elections, members were nominated who did not want to serve. We tried changing to a policy of "...the person you nominate must accept the nomination..." but trying to track it all was a pain.

:m: Peace.

15. Arditezza Banned Banned

Why would it be a pain if it was all in the same thread? If the person nominated didn't respond, then they wouldn't go on the ballot. And if you really wanted to be nominated, you could beg someone else to nominate you in PM's. *shrug* This shameless self-promotion thing I think leads to us voting just to get it over with, instead of voting for someone we think deserves it.

16. Zero Banned Banned

Alright.

Again, for kicks, I'll nominate myself. And as before, I'll bring along my army of Googlebots, Yahoobots, governmental spybots, and other mysterious guests to vote for me. I will take over Sciforums, and soon the world.

Bow down to me.

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

You just need a Good FAQ/Dictionary of Economics at the top of the Forum...

bye!

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

In time right now I have been patitioning for General science and astronomy subforums to get a moderator.

19. Jeremirroer probably smarter than you... Registered Senior Member

I'd like to give a big two thumbs up to all the moderators!!!

20. Frank King Banned Banned

that is not very nice

21. Arditezza Banned Banned

Why are you necromancing threads?