What's up with digital cameras?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by HOWARDSTERN, Aug 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

I would like to know about the ins and outs of digital cameras. Often I need to take pictures on various construction sites for insurance purposes, ect..... as a visual record and I am forever tired of taking my old Kodak film in to get it developed! If what I have heard is correct, I should be able to store all images taken by a digital camera into my computer and print them anytime I need.

What kind of software/hardware do I need? What are good brands (cameras & software) to choose from? What about cost?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Radical Registered Senior Member

i think the most important think

about a digital cam is its res and color depth
    +what sort of cpu it got and if it has a built in screen
    on the really good ones u can even play an emulation of of DOOM and other games on the cam
    but those cams cost alot and are usualy if the branded ones
    kodak and such.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

The picture quality of digital cam's doesn't match that of film. If you must take digital pic's, I suggest you purchase a video cam which offers the option of taking stills.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magenta Nihil est incertius volgo Registered Senior Member

Digital cameras are great for taking photos. But of course it depends on the quality of the digital camera. If your interested in taking rapid-fire shots (an object in motion)then a digital camera would be best for you. There convienent for people who dont like waiting for film to be developed and you can easily email them to your friends and family members.

The downfall to digital cameras is that if you want to print your pictures you'll need a very good printer and the memory of the camera can only hold so many pictures so if your going away for travel you might not want to take a digital camera unless you will have access to a computer.

Some really good models come from Olympus and Nikon. I would suggest the Olympus c-2040 zoom digital camera.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I can not remember the make and model # but Walmart sells a good one for around $500. I want to say that it is made by Sony. It has a large lcd display in the back of the camera and allows you to store the pictures on floppy disk. Instead of needing memory you need disks. They can be downloaded directly to your computer through floppy. The main draw back is that the lcd screen gets washed out in direct sunlight. Other than that it is a fine camera. It is the only one I know of that stores the pictures on disk. As for printers, it depends on what you get. Some of the best printers for the money that will reproduce photo quality prints are Epson printers. While you do not need special inks for them you will need photo quality paper to get good results. The printer I have is no longer sold but at the time it cast around $125. It does adequate jobs but not professional jobs. By using floopies you save on the cost of buying memory chips to store your pictures, as memory can be quite expensive. Also you get around the storage problem as floopies are cheap and you can get a lot of them. This system is used at where I work as it seems to be the most cost effective. Only pictures that need printing are ever printed and most are looked at across the network without ever seeing paper. If you do need to print them then be aware that you will consume a large amount of ink for any printer so be sure to have spare cartridges on hand. If you need these pictures for record later consider a cdr unit for your computer. If you are working now with a flat bed scanner to convert photos to digital media usually as the resolution goes up do does the size of the file, way out of porportion to the amount of clarity you gain. This means that sending high resolution files can have quite a long send time. If you can pass cd's to those who need the info again consider a cdr.

9. Hevene Registered Senior Member

question

Can a video camera be used as a webcam?

10. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Floppy Disk Camera

A friend of mine has a floppy disk camera, when you have about 17 shots on a disk, remove it, insert another, and off you go! I used it when I visited the U534 on Merseyside UK in August 2000. It was easy, clear and of excellent clarity. see for yourself at:

www.kemble.org.uk/u534.html

I will try and find out what make/model it is.

11. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Red Devil ...

Thanks so much for sharing. Saved it to my SSR-419 folder (the sub I served
    aboard). Agree re. Das Boot. The only 'artistic license' I saw was the electrical
    panel fire ... That's not how they look, no flames but lots of sparking and
    smoke ... And I too have refused to watch the garbage Hollywood put out, and
    not only because of the historical inaccuracy.

Take care, and thanks again.

PS Sounds like the camera may have been a Sony.

12. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Chagur

Your an ex submariner! Nice one! Maybe you have seen my other sub pages on my domain - there's enough of them!! I have a friend in michigan who is also an ex submariner!

I have completed 688 Attack sub so many times I am a sub driver par excellance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.