Big Buisness

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by tetra, Aug 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

For the past day, I have gone over and over lines of reasoning in my head, and can find none that would keep the various mining/communications industries from moving the entire industry into space.

There was an article some years back, about scientists finding an asteroid that contained in it approximatly 1,000,000,000,000 (One Trillion) dollars worth of metals.

Let me clarify.

Microsoft and all of it's assets are worth aproximatly 47,000,000,000 dollars. This asteroid is worth around 20 times as much as Microsoft and all of it's assets.

A capital investment of say, 100 billion dollars, by the mining and communications industries of the world, including a space elevator using that little moon that we never knew we had, would have a return profit of over 900 billion dollars (around a 1000% profit), while at the same time, launching humanity into space, where there are countless fortunes to be made.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Thank you, tetra. This has been one of the subjects that I have been harping on. Another driving factor that I have made mention in the past of is that ecology laws are tightening. at present industry has found that it is cheaper to go to the third world countries. Both in labor costs and in ecology law requirement relief. But that will change. With the new found prosperty that new jobs bring also comes the I want more that the workers expect. Including cleaner enviroment that the industries ran from in the first place. There will come a time when the openess of space may be the only welcoming arms left for industry to head to. In addition will be that unlimited power, refridgeration, storage space and benefits of gravity adjustment become the major attractions.

The case you site is for only one asteroid. With near unlimited source of raw material and the fact that it is around 90% or better pure should lead to the conclusion that space mining and industry and it's future is out in space. Once that decision is made then we will have space travel within the solar system.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I don't agree on the subject: Traveling through space......
    I guess it is 'evil' when that happens. People are polluting Earth as hard as they can. Do you want them to destroy and pollute space too....????

Think before you answer, for this is very true. There is already to much garbage from Earth installed in space, all those useless satelite's which give a lot of noise too I guess in space.....

I don't understand you. I mean it, how can you agree on such garbage. Haven't we polluted enough already....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sorry, maybe I over react, but I try to struggle for Earth.
    It's not what you can say for yourselves.
    If humans go on like this, Earth will be gone one of these day's and then everybody's crying Help Me..and so on.
    How can you agree on such useless garbage. We don't need it............
    People in Africa are dying from hunger, try to solve that first, for that are fellow-humans in need. And nobody gives a d**n, because instal satelites is more important and that ridiculous spaceshield too........What the h**l is bush so afraid of???
    Perhaps he has secrets and he is afraid another country has the same secrets???
    Or is he afraid of an attack from outerspace??? The nutcase....
    They're all nutcases, everywhere, in Europe too, all nutcases........
    And I don't know it anymore for I have seen enough misery and pain.
    IT'S BEEN ENOUGH....so please, make it stop..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

You can not destroy space...because it is space...

Space is so vast that if you blow up the whole planet, it is like an ant fart in the wind...

Calm down...and relax...your children will survive...

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I'm afraid not.

9. TheRealDcoy Registered Member

Hold your horses, and think about the following...

if mining companies start mining a trillion tonnes of metals and stuff, where do these ores end up...? Yep right here on earth, in our precious consumer goods (yes mine too). We already have so much junk on this planet, but just to be on the safe side we'll start importing some more from outer space, right.?

No prob, we'll just shoot it back in the sky when we don't need it anymore , just like we dump radioactive materials in the sea.

Sure space is big enough , but the again so was IPv4 address space...

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Once we have limited space travel it will be nothing to send our garabge scows to the sun. What better way to dispaose of it? Wrap it in a net or plastic bag and send it on its way.

The cost of space mining will be enough that they will want to see to it that it is all used even minig trailing, which I might add will be less that here on earth will be valuable for insultating habatits so nothing gets wasted.

11. TheRealDcoy Registered Member

I know the total mass of everything we could ever want to send to the sun is infinitely small compared to the mass of the sun itself. Question is, do we no enough about the sun and its inner processes to start messing with it?
    When the sun goes down, so do we. No way out !!

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

While you pose a serious question and a good one, I don't think we have to worry on this one. Long have I been an advocate of understanding what we do before we do it and it's consequences. However look at the amount of space debris that falls to the earth daily. It has nowhere near the gravational attraction of the sun, which pulls in many times what the earth receives. You could dump radioactives to the sun till the earth had no more and still not affect it. Garbage would have even less effect than that.

13. TheRealDcoy Registered Member

I guess you are right...

14. kmguru Staff Member

You can put the whole earth into the sun and get a little burp in the form of solar flares...until we harness singularity and create blackholes and design 100 mile diameter space ships powered by a small blackhole, we do not have to worry about blowing up a sun...let alone the galaxy...

15. TheRealDcoy Registered Member

How, can you be sure....
    Are you really willing to mess with your source of life???

that' s what i wanted to point out ...

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes, I had understood your point immeadately. Already we do the same thing and have since we can remember. It is not just the sun that we depend upon for life. It is also the eath itself. For without that the sun is just another star. The earth is far more fragile than the sun. Look to its safety first, the sun will take care of itself.

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The sun is just a minor star..

18. kmguru Staff Member

By growing the population from a few million to 6 billion, you are already messing with the source of life....

19. kmguru Staff Member

The Milkyway galaxy is verrrrry BIG.....

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

and much more so is the galaxy...

21. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

Alright, the universe is so damn big, that we can hardly calculate with our current math how large it is.

I say, just launch all of the garbage under the Sun's orbital plane (nobody ever goes there for some reason).
    Itll be millions of years before it reaches another solar system, and then it will simply pass through it, fall into the sun, or burn up in some gas giant's atmosphere.

22. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The sun is just a minor star...
    No sun, no Earth...

But we take our space ships and fly to Andrmeda.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. TheRealDcoy Registered Member

Ah yeah, and the when we ready to blast our precious, bio-hazardous and radiactive junk into outer space, the Chalenger thingie happens all over again ....
    KaBlaam ... al that nice junk scattered around the globe to, eventually, wind up in your morning coffee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.