Nature 1, Man 0

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by kmguru, Aug 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmguru Staff Member

NEWS

In fact, the microscopic lenses that coat the armor of this particular sea creature, known as the brittlestar, are so perfectly designed, some argue they rival any man-made technologies.
    "I believe the performance of its lenses is really superior to anything we've been able to create before," said Joanna Aizenberg of Bell Labs in Murray Hill, N.J., who authored a study about the complex optical system of the brittlestar in this week's issue of Nature. "It is so perfect, it will be difficult to imitate in the laboratory."

Aizenberg believes studying the brittlestar's compound eye could help scientists develop better light-based data processing and optical displays, according to Roy Sambles, a physicist at the University of Exeter in Exeter, Great Britain.

Link: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/brittlestar010822.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

This reminds me of the silk spun by spiders. The size to strength ratio is far beyond anything that man can make, and the speed at which it is produced is also way beyond anything we can do with technology.

Man can and has a lot he should learn from the biological world.

Cris

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

How true! A friend of mine who is heavily involved in Genomics told me that, Genomics is nothing compared to what is ahead - Proteomics. We need the next generation super computers and new software to handle that science.

When you think you are close to the answer, the answer moves another level - not in the same ball park!... more like to another country!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.