new rules to make polls less biased

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by alain, Jun 8, 2004.

?

make polls less biased???

Poll closed Jul 8, 2004.
  1. yes, i have a brain

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. no, i am a stupid loser

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

i see lots of polls where the answers are very biased, support moderation of poll answers???

Edit: yes, i do know that my poll is biased, its trying to point out how stupid biasing polls can be

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antifreeze defrosting agent Registered Senior Member

i cannot tell a lie...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but how does one get rid of poll bias?

i can see two scenarios for bias;
    1) the author of the poll cannot include every possible option that you might imagine, just everything they think is necessary.
    2) of course, sometimes bias runs deeper than that, but even if expressing your opinions means being a stupid loser, you still have the option of expression.
    anyway, it's late and i'm rambling, so make of this what you can; polls don't mean ****. even when the majority does not share your opinion, it makes your point no less valid. just remember one thing: http://forums.matroxusers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47952

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

you can remove poll biasby giving moderators powers to change poll options

i dont get the link, it said i needed to register...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antifreeze defrosting agent Registered Senior Member

aww, damn it. forgot about that. i found it to be funny a story. see below;
    this is not directed at you, of course. i'm just sayin'.

but as for poll moderation, i guess giving moderators the power to add or change poll options would reduce bias. but suppose i had already voted and a new option was added? would i get to vote again? would everyone have to vote again?

and didn't i just *waste* fifteen minutes of my life trying to explain why polls don't matter? you can always express your views - i would argue more effectively - in writing.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As a general rule, almost every poll should have an "other" or "none of the above" option, in case the person voting doesn't agree with any of the other options.

Of course, that's up to the creator of the poll.

9. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Seems moderators already have some editing powers. Wouldn't be surprised if they could edit polls too. If any one here thinks that anything other than a biased result can happen from any poll on this forum, from its original design to the small and pointed population that responds, to the immoderation that keeps some perspectives from participating (it happens sometimes), me thinks it is not safe to jump off the shovel.