Debate Forums

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Votorx, Jun 3, 2004.

?

Good Idea

Poll closed Jul 3, 2004.
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Nah

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

I was looking at another site and I saw one of the things they had there. It was a debate forums completely seperate from the rest of the website. Its closed off to other members but, we can hold polls where we select the topic wanted to be discussed and choose 2 members to debate on that topic. And it will stay up untill they come to a conclusion. Of course peopel can nominate themselves but the rest of the forums have to vote on the 2 who are going to be debating the issue. You can also give ideas to whatever moderators are hosting the debate on what topics should be used next. A more organized way to discuss topics without going offtopic. What do you think?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

maybe baby...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

sounds like it's worth a try.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah, but the moderators can't pick what topics will be used. There should be polls being held with a list of requested topics, then a seperate poll with a list of those whom nomiated themselves or were nominated by others. Which ever 2 people get the most votes will be debating the topic. One for and one against. Then whichever topic won the poll will be what's being debated.

Possibly just sticky 3 polls, Topic Polls, For Polls and Against Polls. And change it whenever there's a new debate.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  8. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I think it is a good idea. Could be fun.

9. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

That is a good idea, I volounteer to moderate. I won't want mods ruining the topics, just no flame wars. Great Idea!

10. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Well, if we decide to make a debate forums we should try and vote on who the mods of those forums are going to be. I propose 1 or 2 mods should be enough. Probably best to pm them with a topic request and nominations.

11. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

I think 'maybe' too.
    There would probably have to be a way to estimate the end of the debate and a decision on who made the best argument. Would it be exclusive to two people, and the rest watch and judge?

12. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Basically. Of course the 2 people can be anyone on the forums. Basically the end of the argument is determined by the participants or those following the debate. It's not to hard to realize when someone's contradicting another, or when they're being argumentative. When the discussions turns from a true debate to a rant, insult exchange or just useless or off topic, we end the debate, and start a new one with new people (or same people if that's what people voted)

13. Fallen Hero Registered Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. So when is it gonna be up?

14. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

LoL so is the forums ever going to be put up? How do we go about doing this?

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

sounds like it would require some special programming, do you think porfiry has the time for that?

16. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

this sounds like a serious excellent idea... can you jump up and down on porfiry until he does it fetus?

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I guess I could, if I was actually into this idea, in fact I'm not: it would require heavy moderating and/or programming, existing forums have enough debate as it is. But that does not mean I would not mind see one here (I have seen them in other places) and I would like to see if it works out. I'm a experiment kind of guy and don't like thinking something good or bad until its been tested and found out.

18. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

:N down wit da mod!!!
    this would rock... ill mod it if noone else will...
    pleaseseseseseese etc. <insert pleading in excess cause i cant be arsed>

19. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

We have no shortage for applicants when a mod position opens. It's really all up to Porfiry and his laziness.

20. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

People are already nominating themselves for a moderator position when this shiz is still in the early idea stage? Wow. I must say I'm impressed and that's not a good thing.

Such a forum would be a welcome addition to the community. My personal thoughts about it shall remain unknown to the public but I guess you either don't care, specualte or think I'm making love to a melon.

Why only 1v1. Why not have debate teams? Sciforum political parties, Juntas, etc.

I doubt such a thing would actually come into existance here though. Not because it is not a good idea, but because of the actual time involved in implementing such a scheme. Would Porfiry make such an area available when some here claim he has lost interest in our own little world?

21. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

It does not appear so, as you need at least
    enough votes to establish a quorum (50).

:m: Peace.

22. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

would you like to have tiassa and anu to debate on 'poll trends'. if you are strong enough you might not jump out of window.

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Instead of having it open until a conclusion, how about giving them a time frame in which they either have to come to a conclusion or it is closed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.