Ban Rappaccini from Open Gov (Please read before voting)

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Arditezza, May 29, 2004.

?

Ban Rappachini from Sciforums Open Government

Poll closed Jun 18, 2004.
  1. Yes

31.3%
  2. No

68.8%
  1. Arditezza Banned Banned

It seems to me that Rappaccini has the inability to put people on ignore and is endlessly complaining and starting Ban threads on other members.

Not to mention that the same political system he uses to get people banned, he mocks by attempting to throw the result in another election;
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=35829&page=11&pp=20

One begins to wonder how many other Open Government votes he has thrown when he feels like it.

I think that because he simultaneously uses and abuses the system, he himself should be summarily banned. If not from the entire forum, at least from participating in the Sciforums Open Government.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I think several mods have said that polls should not be public.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Everybody should have the right to propose something in SF Open Government so I voted no. If those votes Rappaccini set up are so controversal, then people would not vote or vote against his proposal.
    Just as I voted against your proposal.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I have to agree with dream here. I have read the link you provided of Rap's supposed vote throwing or rigging and frankly I don't see any proof of it. The people who participate on this forum are more than able to make up their own minds on what to vote and I'm sure that if they found his comments to be controversial, they'd have told him so or voted against him.

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

It's straight from Prof's mouth. He can check these things.

That said, that's a reason to ban him completely if true... not just from one forum.

9. Bells Staff Member

True persol I guess it is a ban-able offence, but all Rap said on the page linked by Arditezza was that he said 'same here' to a joke made about PM being real or not by spurious. Now how is that an attempt to throw a vote? Rap has never contacted me to vote either way in any poll on this or any other forum. I haven't heard of him lobbying anyone to do such a thing either.

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I also do not see where Rappaccini ever tried to throw a vote, I never wittnessed it. The things Rappa said in the thread you gave as an example are not really connected with anything you accuse him of, at least in my opinion.

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I'm wondering if you guys read the link

12. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

The evidence seems to be there. I'm just wondering why he hasn't been banned already.

13. Arditezza Banned Banned

Porfiry himself said in that thread at the bottom of the page that Rapp cheated it.

14. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

was it because many of the votes came from the same IP adress? I can't vote yes or no without knowing how he threw the vote.

15. Arditezza Banned Banned

Well, I can only assume that Porfiry felt that they were from the same person. And I believe that Rapp admitted that in the Ban PM thread. Infact it's on this page;
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=36286&page=9&pp=20

It's about 5 posts from the bottom. He said he did it to get crazymikey all upset. Nice.

It's just too bad that people didn't read the entire thread where Porfiry posted before voting.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Rappa or Porfiry never answered the question to my satisfaction. According to the rules, cheating in a vote brings bad consequences. If Porfiry caught Rappa cheating, why didn't he punish him? The only conclusion I came to was that Rappa confessed to Porfiry by PM or some such. Other than that I don't know. But, the right to enact punishment for such an act is entirely on Porfiry. If he decides not to act then so be it.

I did not vote on the second Ban PM thread for the specific reason that this was the second one I had seen since coming to the forum. It should be against the rules to start ban thread after ban thread until you get the result you want.

There should be either a grace period for banning on a personal level (which would never succeed anyway most likely) or all evidence of rule-breaking prior to the close of the last ban thread should not be admissable. A man can only be tried once for a crime.

17. Arditezza Banned Banned

It might be helpful to know that Rappaccini started both of the Ban PM threads.

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I knew that. But both ban threads were ultimately denied. (or will be shortly)

19. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I agree that abusing the system is bad, but Rap's abuses seem to have been transparent, at least to Porfiry in the case of the recent pseudoscience mod vote. I would say that the checks are in place and the balance is right from my perspective.

Rapp will only create his own reputation in the end, be it good or bad. I vote no... besides, you could always use your own ignore list with regard to him.

20. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

You're right, and I apologize.
    I think everyone realizes that was a gag. I didn't even attempt to mask it. All Porf had to do was check the IP's.

Crazymikey was well on his way to an ignominious and ignoble banishment, anyhow.

We'll see about the "entire forum" bit, but I'm afraid that there is probably good reason to toss me out of SFOG.

21. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Which involves a lot of bloody manual labour, thanks very much. You also didn't stop after you were warned. There is a temp. ban sitting around here somewhere with your name on it from that incident, but I'm just too damned lazy to find it. It's coming, though. Do the crime, do the time.

22. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

I did that legwork for you Porf, would you like me to send it to you?

:m: Peace.

23. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Yeah... heh...