One layman's theory of gravity

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Fairfield, Aug 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fairfield Registered Senior Member

I, personally, am inclined to believe that gravity is only a secondary force, like that of the force of the wind. I believe in the existence of an ether (something comparable to an extremely thin gas) pervading all space, for the reasons explained below. I further believe this ether is dynamic, and descends vertically on to, and in to, the earth, engaged in some dynamic process we have not yet caught on to, but in its verticle descent it causes the effect we call gravity. If this is the case the ether would have escaped detection by the Michelson-Morley team back in 1887 because their equipment (and premises) was orientated for horizontal detection only. They left it up to the rotation of the earth to provide them with all the other possible orientations. However, they missed the vertical possibility. But a steady descending ether still would not have shown up in the type of test they where using.

My reasons for favoring this point of view are the following.

Einstein made a point of letting everybody know that accelerating a body in free space produces the same back pressures as holding a body still against gravity. I fail to see any more mystery in that relationship than in noting that it takes the same amount of steady force to accelerate a body, in still water, up to a fixed speed, say 25mph, as it does to hold a body still in a moving stream of water, moving at 25mph. In the case of acceleration, in an environment where we are plagued with friction, the steady applied force gradually becomes balanced against friction, and we can no longer see the remaining acceleration, which continues as friction. Aside from that lack of visible continued acceleration I see no difference in the mechanics of water, air, and the apparent ether, except that, in the ether the trade off between body (particle) acceleration and frictional acceleration doesn't start to become apparent until the body approaches the speed of light.

You might say that since gravity gets stronger with increasing proximity to bodies it cannot be likened to a stream of water. But a stream of water moves faster when the stream space narrows. Since a flow of ether towards the earth would be approaching a narrower and narrower available transverse cross section of space, it would, also, have to move faster
    and faster.

I believe the unavoidable invisibility of the ether has given it a mystery it doesn't deserve. Also, if there is an ether, I would expect it to be at least a little more involved than just a dead sea of ether.

Fairfield

Last edited: Aug 23, 2001
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

It is said that Space was created in big bang, so may be there is no difference in space and ether and may be it is the ether that is responsible for gravity effects.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.