movement observed in the early morning sky

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by olneyone7, Aug 17, 2001.

1. olneyone7 Registered Member

I'm hoping someone can explain to me what I am see in the early morning sky above michigan.

I travel from west to east each morning between 4 am and 4:30 am. I noticed about two weeks ago what I thought were two very bright stars in the eastern sky. they seem closer than most stars and as I watched them each morning they rotated positions. and are now getting further apart. Is what I am actually seeing satilites?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Almost all sattelites move with the orbit of the earth. The cost of propellent and the amount of it make it prohibitive to try and get orbital velocity against the spin of the earth. By using the speed of the earth as help (and not something to fight) you wind up with the satellites going from east to west. Further, most satellites will appear to be a light simular to a star with a steady movement. It won't take long to traverse the sky.

Do the lights you see have a twinkle? Planets give a steady glow instead of a twinkle. As such it allows a quick identifier as to what you are seeing.

From the time you state, I would guess that you are seeing the morning star. The morning star is not really a star. It is either Venus or Mars. They change up at times during the year. During the "swap over times" they are usually near each other.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DAVE J Registered Member

In the east early in the morning the two bright lights will be Jupiter and Venus. Venus will be going towards the sun. Jupiter will be getting higher each day. Keep looking, see if you can find Saturn.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DAVE J Registered Member

Sorry, Wasn`t quite sure but Saturn will be fairly away to the upper right of Jupiter and will rise daily [nightly?] with it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Those were my friends.

They were a little bit lost, Sweden is very small and hard to find, when you come straight from Andromeda.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. olneyone7 Registered Member

enlightened person

Thank you all for replying, It defently Venus and Jupier that I am see, took me serveral mornings, do to the fact that we've been overcast.