Spacey Advertissment!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Tristan, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

A Texas ad agency proposes to transform the night sky witha giant orbiting billboard larger that 12 miles in diameter. The mylar billboard which reflect light from the sun, Will be unfurled in low earth orbit to appear as big as the moon in the night sky. Questions, Comments? Political reasons for delay or even abadoning idea?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Que Registered Member

Hmmm, interesting. As if we are not inondated enough with advertisting, let alone taking the fun out of stargazing.

I also suppose it would interfere with terrestrial telescopes performing useful science.

Ah well, I imagine this is the price we pay if we intend to move out amongst the cosmos...

Groove On.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Just what we needed, more trash in LEO. Only good thing is that it might eliminate the night being so dark. Pity the astronomers and their calling.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

WHAT THE.....

If that ever happened I would personally steal an F15 and take that sucker out!!!

8. olneyone7 Registered Member

stargazing

Leave the sky unblemished, we've done enough damage to this planet, why destroyer the one thing left, that has beauty.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I'll be your co-pilot.

Believe me, I would hate to be in the middle of montana and see a floating add in the sky for hemroid cream.

10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Why use an F-15 (you'd have a pretty tough time getting to the satellite) when you can just nuke the bastard assuming it's really far up in space. It'd be the coolest fireworks on earth.
    Why don't they do that for the fourth of july? they should send up a whole batch of outdated nukes really far away from Earth and then detonate them, I'd watch it.

11. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Shrike

ahh I beg to differ...I've seen an f15 going balistic (i.e. straight up missile attitude) and launch its full payload at a leo satellite...it was probably the best fighter pic I've ever seen.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I think the kewlest I ever saw was I believe an F16 breaking the sound barrier. Right at the moment there is this bubble of disturbed air, quite visiable in the photo.

13. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I've seen a few of those

An f16 looks awesome when the compression wave forms...must be the geometry....even when its transonic while the shock wave is still attatched. There's a pretty cool pic of an f18 when its supersonic and the shock wave is detatched but half way down the fusalage.... I believe it was taken by a normal camera and there was just enough moisture to defract light through the shock wave.

14. Neb Registered Senior Member

Advertising in space would be a good idea.......for a 3 year old to come up with,the reason this hasn't been thought of before is because its ludicrous,its bad enough that the air waves are polluted with advertisements preventing more than 3 songs being played on radio each half hour.
    The planet Earth is ours to ruin beyond belief,which we've done a good job of,the universe though is not our domain and we shouldn't play with it like it is.

15. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

Why isn't the universe our domain?

I see no reason why not.

What would be better than taking down the ad after launch, is replacing somehow the contents of the ad. Then bring it down.

16. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

I believe about 3 or 4 years ago Pepsi was thinking about doing this.

17. Neb Registered Senior Member

Because we don't deserve it, we have fucked up this planet enough,what are we going to do go from one planet to the other until everything is destroyed.

18. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Human race....Virus.....I see a realationship here.

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Tristan,

Have you been watching reruns of Matrix?

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I always thought that some company would create some reflected light bounce from the sun, through some coloured filter and placed upon the surface of the moon, afterall it's a pretty large floating billboard.

Of course there is the alternative of using holographics through frequency matrices, this is amusing as the night sky could be percieved as a whole bulletin board of adverts and possibly even surround films. Spooky if you ask me.

21. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Bah! I thought that before thematrix even came out. It's human nature. We will risk, and sacrifice everything to survive. And yet at the same time we are destroying what keeps us alive. Irony is a funny thing.

22. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Tristan,
    Excuse me. I could not resist the jibe at the Matrix. Actually the idea of the human race being a virus on the face of the earth has come again and again as themes for movies, books, and forums such as here. It may well have merit to it as there are indeed simularities.