Ban Banning

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by hypewaders, Apr 12, 2004.

?

Ban Banning?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Since SFOG is really a powerless body within an absolute monarchy, it would be much more honest to just have a personal complaints department- Or PM mods with your hurt feelings, so long as public personal aggrandizement and schadenfreude isn't what's driving you.

I doubt that Dave makes such decisions on the basis of unpopularity contests, because it wouldn't be sensible: These little mobs, with most always the same cast of characters, are not in the least bit representative of our Intelligent Communities. Thanks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

You are free to restrict your own powers. But doesn't it seem rather curious that you would voluntarily deny yourselves a particular avenue of power I have granted you?

Obviously the mods and myself would still ban people, lest spammers and trolls run rampant.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Ban everybody and let God sort them out.....

Dee cee

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FieryIce Tic Toc, World in Cobalt Blue Registered Senior Member

Isn't there such a thing as "IGNORE" if you have an issue with someone?

8. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

How would this be enforced? Would there be an addendum to the rules?

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Ban bans ban banning banlessly. Such powers are rightly left to the almighty al-Porfiry. But if bans be not banned, I propose that popularity polls be not tallied, in strict accordance with the Tally-ban.

10. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Ban bans ban banning banlessly?

What?

Wouldn't this act nullify itself?

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

This does seem fairly silly. Rather then people attack each other in other threads, it would seem better for them to attack each other in a 'ban so an so' thread.

More so, it brings attention to people the mods may not have been paying attention to. The decision is theirs in the end anyhow.

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Then an SF Obnoxiousness Community definitely should be established, so that annoying and inane posters can be singled out for culling with minimal effort.

Um... I gotta go.

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I think there should be more banning. But not for being 'mean' or 'offensive' but rather for being stupid. Like really stupid.
    You know how there's a clearly visible line between rational and irrational? Come on, we can all see it, if you can't you are probably on the irrational side.
    Plenty of people I don't like are on the rational side.
    Some people though are just really really bad. This is apparently an intelligent community, not a friendly community, so instead of banning mean people we should ban dumb people.
    I know someones going to say "ahh what like you? lol" but we all know what I'm saying here. Flagrantly mentally challenged individuals. The ones that can't learn a thing.
    They're everywhere. Its kind of embarrassing. We should really do something about it.

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I was first drawn to Sciforums by the assumption that it attracts more intellectually active people than other boards I've seen. For me, spontaneous cleverness among the unwashed masses is more stimulating than a gated intelligent community. I think we have to suffer fools grudgingly if we're not going to mimic so many intellectually inbred snobs in so many ivory towers.

15. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

There is no point in banning since you could just make a new account under a different e-mail address. Wow, you lost all your posts, who will care?

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

they can do more than just ban your email address.

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

How about this, instead of banning bad members, porfiry tweaks some software so that bad members can actually be litterally sucked into sciforums through their monitor at home, so that there bodies are eternally trapped inside sciforums.
    There could be a special subforum for displaying their wriggling anguished carcasses.
    Porfiry would need to tweak it just a little more so that the experience of being trapped in sciforums was particularly painful and uncomfortable.
    It would be really neat to look into the pained tortured face of a banned/trapped member in a special part of the forum set aside for that purpose.
    Also perhaps we could paypal baskets of cyber-tomatoes, and click on a button so that the tomatoe would be thrown at the banned member. Ofcourse for the banned member this would feel like he was really being pelted by big juicy tomatoes and it would hurt, but not really enough for him to forget the inherit non-stop pain that naturally comes with having your body trapped inside an internet message board, which would be unbelievably horrible. As would the humiliation of being looked at while in such pain- and pelted with tomatoes- by thousands of people. Thats the most important part, it needs to be an incredibly painful experience, both physically and emotionally. That way the sci-crim display case subforum would act as a great deterrent to would be sci-crims because the look on the face of those displayed would make it all too apparent how torturous it is.
    Or would this take up too much bandwidth?

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm willing to pay for the extra bandwidth to see this!!!!!

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

How about instead of banning member we put them on a "Master ignore" so that everyone sees them as "this person is being ignore by the forum for _____ reasons, click here if you wish to read their reply.” But most of all don't tell the person such a thing is being done to them!

No seriously I think some from of better control has to be done on Banning polls, they just come out as popularity contest instead of actually judging the accused based of the crimes they supposedly did. I think only a moderator should be allow to make banning poll as they can put together all the logical and valid reason to ban a person and enforce quality control.

And/Or lock a banning poll from having posts added to it, so that no one can add there illogical and possibly stupid reason below it.

Or we could have trials with radomly selected Judge and Jury?

Dr Lou Natic,
    Here a pic of Green_world in the sciforum torture chamber your described:
    Green_world in sciforum hell!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Keep the polls; require the voting to be open.

:m: Peace.

21. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

HAHAHA
    Thats perfect WCF

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

In all walks of life there are idiots and troublemakers, nuisances and pests. Forums get more than their fair share due to the anonymity of the keyboard and of course, distance. Many members here would not say 1% of what they say in here if they were face to face with their "opponent". I believe that persistent troublemakers, bad posters, "arguists" (is there such a word?) who only come here to cause problems should be got rid of, firstly by warnings, then temp bans then perm bans, including their IP addresses.

Now, if that IP address happens to be a college, school etc, explain to them why their IP is banned - they can then resort to vengeance!! Bans - yes, we must have the "threat" at least.

finally, I voted yes and it should have been no - my apologies. Delete one yes, add one NO!

23. candy Valued Senior Member

I think any necessary restrictions are best done by an administrator not a popularity poll. I have never favored mob rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.