Blast from the past

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by kmguru, Jul 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmguru Staff Member

ENJOY

Sellam Ismail, organizer of the Vintage Computer Festival, stands next to a 1972 DEC PDP-12 minicomputer with only 8K of memory. DEC sold thousands of these $50,000 machines and a lot of them are still running today operating old databases and automated factory systems.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Isn't it amazing how far we've come in near 30 years!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Hey, kmguru, it looks like that computer out of "willy wonka and the chocolate machine" does anyone know the name of that machine in Willy Wonka, it makes me laugh every time I see the movie with its witty humour and all.

Yeah, that was a pretty small computer actually I think, for 30 years ago, and a cheap price, though there has been plenty of inflation since then.

I think that basically whats on our desktops now is say better than a super computer 10-15 years ago.

I know that 10-11 years ago a computer for our airport was purchase for 4million (US8Million ut back then would have been US 5.5million?approx).

It ran equivalent approx 175mhz pentium if that. Pretty cool huh?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Pretty cool, it sure is. In fact not long ago, we had water chillers to keep the IBM 3090-300 vector processor cool. But you know what? things have not changed that much really. It is true that they are faster. But I expected by now, we would have 256 processors of Intel 486 size in a chip to do parallel rocessing. That has not happened. I do not think you can buy a 512K L2 cache anymore.

Unless the microprocessor is redesigned to how we would be using them in the future, it will pretty soon hit a limit of use. And I do not see anything new coming that will blow my socks off.

We are heading on a one-dimensional path....

8. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

amazing.... look at that huge computer.. then look at out palms... and such... which are better than that monster! it is amazing.. i just cant wait till palms are the size of marbles.. and emit a holografik display... then.. i will buy one

9. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Hey dexter, whatta you bet that computer out of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was running Linux?

10. Yossi Registered Member

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to Sciforums, Yossi. May your posts be long and varied.

The article was interesting. In these days of throw-away it is amazing that any of it still works.

12. Yossi Registered Member

oops i meant here not hear...

13. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Hi, Yossi ...

I'm curious, are the Palestinians doing any cyber attacking along with the other madness?

14. Pro. Max Arturo Good God, I'm not Howard! Registered Senior Member

I still cannot decipher your compiled heaps of disjoined gibberish, Chagur!!!

Apparently I had previously under-estimated your lack of command over the English language, Chagur!

If only I had been made aware of such a dysfunction earlier.....Perhaps it may yet be possible to salvage the random bits of minor thought patterns that still struggle for real, sensible expression toward others.

Chin-Up Chagur! Help is on the way!

Beginning with this following day, I shall search all available data bases for remedial education courses that I believe will be of great service to you.

<b>So keep a smile on your face & hold your head high, Chagur. You may yet one day post better than "ripleofdeath."

GOOD LUCK,

Pro. Max Arturo</b>

15. Yossi Registered Member

hey

yes, the palestinians are also cyber-attacking us. there is a "cyberwar"... they attack our major portals and ISP's and we attack there terror organizations site's...

16. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Hey kmguru, by in the future, don't you mean by next week?

17. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Would you know how sophisticated their attacks are, Yossi?

Like, would they be camparable to the 'Code Red' attacks that have hit the United States ISPs?

18. Yossi Registered Member

they are not sophisticated at all... all they do is bombing israeli servers with pings, DoS, and stuff like that...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2001
  19. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

haha, we probobly could

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

And so we see the nature of cyber-harassment. As these "opponents" discover and learn from the Internet sources they will slowly become more sophisticated. I do hope that technology stays that one jump ahead and Microsoft will be a bit more security conscious when designing new OS's.

This is one of the only areas (computer programs) where it is acceptable to put out a product, not completely developed, and it is tolerated. If you went and purchased a washing machine and say it washed but did not spin, how long would it take you to take it back or call for warranty service? So why do we, the consumer, put up with such? Should we not also be screaming for a refund or technical support to make it right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.