New technologies

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by some_guy01, Jul 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. some_guy01 Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. some_guy01 Registered Senior Member

as far as i know its not a hoax (i don't know though it could or it could be that it just hasn't been officially announced) i. e. dolly the clone sheep wasn't officailly announced worldwide till it was 7 months old

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

It could be hoax.

Hi all.

I think this could be a hoax, and especially because there are some unusual or strange formulations in the article. I'll give you some examples:

Even though I'm going to get flamed by all "believers" out there for this, but mentioning UFO's in a scientific discovery is usually met with loads of scepticism, not a good way to announce a new discovery. I realize this is a weak argument

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Magnetic fields are measured in Tesla, not Volts (which is used for Electric fields, and even those are expressed in Volts/meter).

But apart from those two remarks, everything seems to be more or less acceptable. I really wonder if this is real or not, we should probably watch the news in the next couple of days.

Bye!

Crisp

8. some_guy01 Registered Senior Member

i don't think it is a hoax

a)its a possiblity those are mistranslations because it was done by a computer

b)how often do discoveries like these made at uninversities hit the news papers, cnn, and/or msnbc... very few i can tell you

c)and the ufo remark, here in america it may sound like a bad comparison however i once saw a show on dsc(i think) in which it talked about the huge amounts of money the soviet union put out in researching and studying ufos

-i think we will hear about it on our side of the globe when they use these technologies to build something extrodinary in which the whole world looks looks at it in awe

9. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Just a thought ...

As advanced as Russian science can be, it can also be pretty weird.

Anyone remember Trofim Lysenko? He was a biologist and agronomist who had some pretty way out ideas regarding genetics that were supported by the USSR even though the rest of the world's scientific community pretty much rejected them. He died in '76.

10. kmguru Staff Member

There is a hoax going on right inside Sciforums on a posting that nobody has caught on. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....when I was growing up, I read a lot of russian sci-fi books, the way they were written (documentary style), I thought they were real...

My bet is , it is a hoax. The proof of the pudding is when our CIA picks it up and passes the information to news media. Let us see.

Remember that cold fusion experiment? A bunch of people have even applied patent for it. BTW, I think cold fusion is possible (it will be more like a chemical reaction than a nuclear reaction) if the paladium electrode is manufactured properly.

11. kmguru Staff Member

Russians are generally good at basic science, math and some software but not in Technology. The reason US is ahead of technology from everybody else is because, we are a nation of new opportunities. As people move from job to job, they pick up new ideas (it is that fresh blood ...). In 80s our norm of move was 3 years for engineers. Now it is 12 moths for contractors and 18 months for permanent employees.

Besides picking up new ideas, ours (US) is an open society where information flows very rapidly to where needs are. With all the talk about confidentiality in business and even military, where it counts, the flow of information does not have any obstacle. People tolerate that because you get much more than what you loose through leakage. And if you consistently pick up a lot more than you loose, you are ahead of the game. US companies who are very strict in fraternization very quickly go out of business.

Behind US, UK then Germany then rest of Europe. Russia is the last due to the secret culture.

12. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Hate to disagree again ...

kmguru
    If that be the case, then why are we so dependant on their space technology? Other than the shuttle, we rely on the 'Progress' and 'Soyuz' for both ISS support and crew escape. And, why is it that the Russians are able to do something we have yet to accomplish: automated docking with the ISS?

I won't even comment on their superior weapons technology - I've referred to that too many times already to want to go through it again.

Sorry, you're way off base.

13. kmguru Staff Member

We do not have a disagreement. Their automated systems work so well is because, Russians are very good in Automated Control Theory (that was my major in both BS and MS). They practically invented the math. Shooting down an ICBM to landing a probe on another planet depends on ACT. Remember Lunkhod? The servos and guidance system also depend on that math too.

We do better, when complexity increases for the reason I mentioned in my last post.

14. kmguru Staff Member

The other part about space technology, there was a tremendous amout of cutback in the funding of NASA by congress since 1987 - more like since challenger's accident. NASA had an ambitious plan then to build the next generation lunch system (called Advanced Lunch System - that I was a part of). The space station that was supposed to be built by Boeing and Bechtel never happened. So everything kind of petered out.

We are basically using the left over technology from the eighties. Last year, I saw the space station at Huntsville. I was not impressed. Which means, I have to qualify my previous statement saying NASA or the Government does not count!

15. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Definitely, kmguru ...

The USSR's luna rovers ... lunokhod 1 & 2 ... back in the early '70's if I'm not mistaken ... and successful missions at that.

Thanks for stirring the old brain cells.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.