New discipline? Biophysics

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Chagur, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head.

Hi Chagur,

Talking about a coïncidence, my master's thesis I am going to work on in three months deals with biophysics aswel

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(or let's put it this way: the maths I will be studying are applicable to situations in physics and biology).

But the article seems to make the co-operation between scientific disciplines look like something relatively new, and I do not think this is the case. For example, loads of progress has been made in researching neural networks by applying model from physics called "the Ising system" to neurons (those were the first steps). Economy, biology, medicine, ... you name it and there's some model originally developed in physics used there.

I probably should mention it's the other way around too (even though I like to attribute the honour to my field of interest

). I've heard several researchers talk about how interdisciplinary science is the thing of the future - most of the "pure" science we know today is simply almost.. completely researched to the current maximum possibility.

Interesting stuff I could probably write pages about... I'll spare you all from the ordeal of reading it

Bye!

Crisp.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Crisp ...

Just let's keep the 'coincidence' aspect to ourselves.

I can just see kmguru or Sir. Loone latching on to it.

We can chalk it up to great minds having similar thoughts.

Fair enough?

If it's not being too forward, might I have a copy of your thesis when it's published?
    (That is, if it's in English or German)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2001
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi Chagur,

Sure, I can send you the text when it's done, but unfortunately it has to be written in Dutch (this is an official requirement, unless I file a request for an exception to the rules, and this requires a good reason. I do not think that "a friend of mine want's to read it too" validates as a reason

).

Bye!

Crisp

8. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Oh well, thanks anyway then, Crisp.

I'm afraid that too many brain cells have atrophied over the years for me to learn another language (not that I had that many in the first place).

Take care.