Cryogenics and Society

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by BBBF, Mar 12, 2004.

1. BBBF Registered Member

I'm writing a paper about the impacts of cryogenics on socio-culture, environment, economy, politics, religion and/or education .

I thought I'd put this discussion on the board and see where it leads. It might to an effect I might not have thought about on my own.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

OK, so what do you think about cryogenics?

My first thoughts are we dont know it'll work, and its expensive to keep everything going, thus keeping it out of most peoples range, and ensuring lots of money are tied up for a long time.
    Oh yes, and welcome to sciforums, hopefully you'll have a good time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Here's an interesting point that I think most people overlook. Cryonics is usually paid for by life-insurance policies. If the frozen people are ever revived, it seems like they would be facing a huge bill, since the life insurance policy is only supposed to be paid out in the event of their permanent death. After all, you don't get life insurance money if you die and a doctor revives you…

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BBBF Registered Member

Well, when I speak of cryogenics, I mean the actual technology of using gasses to cool objects to extremely low temperatures. I do not specificly mean to discuss freezing humans to revive them, but I will mention that.

I will focus on the uses of cryogenics in industry in terms of speeding up production rates in plastic extrusion and quickly cooling metals to low temperaturs to improve mechanical properties, NASA, the Military, storing tendons and other body parts until a better patient/doner match is made and religious and socity's views on the plan to freeze people and bring them back to life.

I want to say a little bit about everything in about 10 pages, but I'm looking for other views and oppinions and anything that involves cryogenics

8. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Arizona is working on a state bill right now that, I believe, will outlaw a major cryogenics facility there. You could probably get more data on it via www.imminst.org Tell 'em chip sent ya.

9. BBBF Registered Member

Thanks, I'll probably end up using something for that.

Another thought I'm having is that cryogenics might help the ecconomy or environment because you can use the technology to cool products in places were there is not a large enough supply of water or where there are concerns about poluting the water.

10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

The problem of misplacing........

good luck then...

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Well, the problem with cooling things where there isnt much water, etc, will depends upon energy supply instead. Like your fridge.

Is cryogenics actually used in plastic extrusions? I would have thought that rapid cooling might have detrimental effects, if your going really low, and I know a lot of plastics get brittle etc at lower temperatures.

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure on this, but I'd figure that you are creating a constant internal stress by cooling it quickly. This could allow it to keep it's shape better.

13. BBBF Registered Member

Yeah, it's used extrusion. I have toured a plant that was doing reseach on it. If you simply inject liquid nitrogen into plastic, you are correct. The plastic will become brittle and fracture.

What they are doing with extrusion is running the extruded plastic through multiple cooling chambers, which are computer monitored and controlled.

I've read that mechanical proporties are improved, but I haven't actually seen a study proving so, so I don't believe it. (I had considered doing a study for a thesis paper).

Basicly, cryogenics allows you to increase the production rate 40-100%. The plant I toured was actually running at 300% of the production rate that day, but I believe they were finding some degree of internal fracture.

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

HHmmm. I'd like to see a paper as well, given that if you quench steel and suchlike, you dont tend to remove stresses, and its too long since my lectures on plastics for me to remember how they work.

15. darktr00per Registered Senior Member

Vitrification--its the method of stopping biological time that doesnt involve freezing.It converts biological tissue into low temperature glass that doesnt contain ice crystals. Since you all should know ice crystals are what damages cells/tissues.(even with cryptoprotectants) But it is about the speed of preservation in vitrification that is interesting. The faster the better! The faster biologcial tissue is vitrified the water molecules dont have time to form any crystals.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

all think about icing the bodies and it's a good idea, but requires much of development (as anything new) but what if (I'm not a biologist) we somehow slowen human metabolism to nearly nill. Without any ice at the optional temperature of about 4 degrees celsium.
    there are frogs that do it for hundreds of years with zero activity and there are bears that do it every winter. I think it can be done, and it would be a good alternative to insta-freeze. of course if your intention is not to be revived not sooner than after a few million years.