Homo Economicus

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by kmguru, Feb 17, 2004.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Help!

The origin of the words "Homo Economicus". I could not find it in Adam Smith's book "Wealth of Nations". Who coined the words? I have gone though about 30 links in google, no luck so far.

Help!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. you're joking, right?
    your google doesn't work, I got 19,300 hits, here's two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_economicus
    http://www.fact-index.com/h/ho/homo_economicus.html

oops, misread your question, it is hard to look for who coined the term!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

I think Adolph Lowe coined the words in 1935. I could not get the article anywhere on the net. You can find Harry Potter books, all the music you want, but when it comes to educational material - it is rare!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. I found that everybody used that term but I couldn't get the author using all sorts of keyword strings & terms. So true on the H. Potter stuff, the net may be too lightweight for serious researchers. I remember having to use Lexus-Nexus (prior to Google) at school to do research, it took me 16 hours to read, reject, & finally get enough sources for an infection control paper that I was presenting at a hospital committee in LA. I had to skim through titles on 100,000 articles there, (luckily I didn't have to read them all), it was on betadine ointment, which I found was used for wound cleaning not only on humans, but reptiles, tattoos, body-piercing, etc... Search engines are not always too selective; I liked it when Boolean commands started to be used.

I hope that you were able to find enough info.

8. kmguru Staff Member

That shows how the bias builds up even in the internet. BTW, I did have access to several commercial databases through our state library system - still nothing. A lot of companies try to horde the data so that they can sell them. There is no non-profit foundation that is willing to share the knowledge of mankind, lest peace could break out. Everyone has an agenda and it has been that way since the dawn of our civilization.

Control the knowledge, control the people....

Thank you Randolfo...I got enough info to get the job done.

9. kmguru Staff Member

On a related thought:

Is The New Economy Socially Sustainable?
    by Manuel Castells, Professor of Sociology, University of California at Berkeley, USA.

At the turn of the millennium, the revolution in information technology has ushered in a new economy. This economy, originated in the United States, and more specifically in the American West Coast, is spreading throughout the world, in an uneven, yet dynamic pattern. It is essentially characterized by the key role of knowledge and information in spurring productivity and enhancing competitiveness; by its global reach; and by its networked form of business organization. Well managed, this new economy may yield an extraordinary harvest of human creativity and social well being. However, several major contradictions threaten the stability of this new economy: the volatility of global financial markets; the institutional rigidity of business, legislation, and governments in many countries; increasing social inequality and social exclusion throughout the world, limiting market expansion and triggering social tensions; and the growing opposition to globalization without representation on behalf of alternative values, and legitimate concerns on the environmental and social costs of this model of growth. Information technology offers great potential in helping to supersede these contradictions at the dawn of an emerging socio-economic system. But the speed of technological innovation requires the parallel development of institutional and cultural innovation, away from bureaucracy but closer to people, to ensure the sustainability of the new economy, and to spur the new wave of technological creativity.

10. Oh man, how do you change most of the world, when there are parts still stuck in the caveman, barbarian & medieval world; specifically, marginalized aboriginal peoples, central Asian hill tribes & most of the 3rd world?

Next question: should we leave some people behind (as protected endangered species) or bring them all kicking & screaming?

11. kmguru Staff Member

Next question: should we leave some people behind (as protected endangered species) or bring them all kicking & screaming?

YES. But not to put them in a cage like US did to the Native Americans, but create an environment to leave people alone like Amish. Slowly if their children wants to join the world...let it be.

12. cool, the Amish are an interseting people, museum quality people, I'm not sure they like being looked at as curiosities, but I guess that's what happens to anyone stuck in past centuries,

13. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Except the Middle East. They won't hold still long enough.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. kmguru Staff Member