$$$ College Education $$$

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Truenemo1889, Feb 16, 2004.

?

Federal/State funded education ?

1. Yes, I want that my government pays for my education. (Higher taxes, greater national dept, etc.)

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No, I like it they way it is done and has been done for years. (grants, scholarships, loans,etc.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Truenemo1889 Registered Senior Member

$$$$$

It has come to my attention lately that attending college is somewhat expensive in the US and that some students would be better of studying abroad.
    Why couldn't an college-level education be free? Some of the foreign students are better of in their country, where they get federal funding to go to school.

I lost my scholarship so now i can pay for myself. I have to pay about $ 6000 a year for tuition alone (Maryland). Out-of-staters are worse of, they practically pay twice as much. My sisters is studying in Germany and it seems that she has it somewhat easier than me if it comes to financing an education. I know that that taxe rates over there are considerable higher in some places but it still seems to work out. Some things just annoy me....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

come to canada.
    Maryland what program? physics? cs? I hear its suppose to be a good school.
    You pay the high tuition because isn't american school supposed to be nicely designed?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jps Valued Senior Member

Public higher education should be free to everyone. In the US, it would not be necessary to increase the debt or even have broad tax increases.
    A third of Bush's recent tax break for the wealthy would cover the tuition of public colleges.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

In US, Governement run colleges (Community colleges) are considerrably cheaper due to their main source of revunue being government money. Private colleges are a rape up the ass expensive and more prestigeous the college the more you pay...even extensive scholarships do not help much since you still end up paying incredible amounts of money.

It depends whether or not should a student pay so much. For buisness or law students a degree from a highly regarded college is neccessary...for students where your work speaks for it self (graphic designer, photographer, Illustrator) then a cheaper college is fine since it all about practice and creativity.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Come to Australia. Here we have a government loan scheme paid back via the taxation system based on your income level. A decade ago, tertiary education was totally government funded (unfortunately, I didn't get to take advantage of that).

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Come to finland...it is basically for free...

Education is after all a sign of civilization.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There are public colleges and universities that charge far less than what you have stated in many states. There are scholorships, loans and grants that are available if you want to research where to get them. 50 percent of all college graduates never pay back their debts after they finish their education. It is bothersome that many students never get anything from their education for many college educated people emd up in very low paying jobs that they don't need the college education for to begin with.

11. Truenemo1889 Registered Senior Member

I can't go to Canada, Finland nor Australia, I am temporarily stuck in Maryland

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

.Btw My major is electrical engineering. Another issue is the escalating prices of school books. Many of the text books cost over one hundred dollars. So bassically if you are a full time student you can expect to pay $ 500 alone on books per semester. That can seriously draina students resources.

Another bad thing about this is that the bookstore is likely to replace the books they currently have in stock within a one to two year time period.

The students are going to buy the books as usuall and waste their money.
    The only difference between the old and new books that the bookstore sells is that new books are usually a newer edition(with minor changes i might add).
    Just because a book has been used for three years doesn't mean that it has to get replaced with a new edition. But of course i can understand that there are some exceptions.I have learned the hard way that the best way to get rid of old books or aquire used books is via student networking.

Come to speak of it, my bookstore offered me $ 3.00 (yes, three US dollars) for a $100+ dollar circuits book that had "minor" water damage. :bugeye:
    What a bunch of B$#% $h!+.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

13. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

I've heard this arguement before in school normally I just tell people to do four years in the military then they wouldn't have to worry about college costs, currently in Illinois there's a state grant that pays 4 years of tuition for 4 years of active duty service most states don't have it. But honestly, I think college should be at least cheaper. I'm currently going to community college using the G.I. Bill, when I was 18 I understood the only way for me to get into college would be if I could get Uncle Sam to pay so I did more than four years active duty and it was worth it. Check out peligrants and anything you can get from the government or take out a student loan, most people never pay them back anyways.

14. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

If you don’t pay back the student loan then you can’t finance a house. Doing military service in exchange for tuition money has of course a downside, part of which is certain--the four years of control of your life that you forfeit. If Republican rule holds there will likely be more wars and danger of death or illness for the soldier. Also Bush has shown that he is willing to lengthen soldiers’ tours of duty, breeching the sign-up agreement. Consider working to pay off an education at the cheapest college or else spending that time & far less money to educate yourself on your own. Many employers care only that you can well do the job; the university certificate per se is worthless to them. Rather than risk being killed in the battlefield, you risk a few days camping on the doorstep of an employer until they consent to verify that you can do the job despite your lack of a formal education.

15. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

This is off topic but, We lost more people on from automobile accidents then at war does that mean we should stop driving our cars? I guess battlefield death is some how more horrible then automotive death. I wasn't trying to push military enlistment because I know for some people its not an option just explaining an alternative.
    Zanket said "a few days camping on the doorstep of an employer until they consent to verify that you can do the job despite your lack of a formal education"
    I doubt self-trained Electrical Engineers get hired no matter how long they camp.

16. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

No, you should drive carefully and avoid the military. Electrical engineers might need a certificate but software engineers don’t. Go figure.

17. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

You can study programing language on your own and get computer certification, instead of getting a degree in the field. I know people who've done it.
    Not trying to insult software engineers but I think Electrical engineering requires more knowledge than programing. Why avoid the military? Being afraid of death wont prevent it.

18. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

I’d avoid the military because it seems silly to give up 4+ years of control of your life, with risk of death/injury/illness, just for college tuition that’s worth only about $25K or so. This topic is about $$$ for college education. Time & risk are worth money. Joining the military to pay for school seems by far the most expensive way to go. Because you’ve given up control you can’t opt out--a friend of mine chose the military route and regretted enduring all that misery for its relatively small benefit. Alternatively an industrious person can learn a programming language in a few months, bank $25K excess income in one year of employment, and then go to college to learn his/her desired skill.

19. RonVolk Registered Senior Member

The military has more benefits than just college, and here in the U.S. there's alot of different ways to get into college.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Nobody is ever really stuck. It might take some willpower and organization to make a decision to go and then actually go somewhere else. But usually it is extremely easy in hindsight to move to another place.

21. Truenemo1889 Registered Senior Member

I guess you are right

22. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

bogus, i lost my scholarship too, and ironically it was in a electronics school also (DeVry)
    im no longer going to that school cuz i got fed up, with all the BS and Financial Aid crap- does anyone else see the pattern in ANY College? Their Financial Aid is ALWAYS a god damned HASSLE - always giving you the Runaround??
    maybe government funded would help solve this.
    to comment on the Self-Teaching route, ive been teaching myself computers and computer graphics and i am fairly well (and hold a current job in that field) but that isnt going to get you anywhere. or i should say it isnt going to get you far...
    to advance u really need a formal education. sad, but true.
    its the reason im going to school for Graphic Design now, instead of electronics.

Loans are the best thing for poor students like me and you (in the united states), and with co-signers you can keep the rate down a bit. theres millions of ways to get the money for your education, and even possibly get some extra cash in your pocket- you have to search for it tho, its hidden so not everyone uses it, get it ?

on the military note- that is no way to go about getting your education. unless you want to go into the force , then dont bother - this option should be used only if you had some interest in joining the military - not solely because u want someone to pay for your education.

23. Truenemo1889 Registered Senior Member

Zonabi, i think you are right about the military options, that a person should not go into the military just to get money for college. Some things just suck....