Problems With WE&P: A Poll.

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by CounslerCoffee, Feb 6, 2004.

?

What's wrong with WE&P?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2004.
  1. Cross posting (multiple subjects and multiple threads)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Spam (i.e. one liners, useless posts)

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Flames

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Other (Please post)

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Firstly, thanks to everyone who voted for me. To the others that lost (Wesmorris, Sarge), you have my support in the next election. To tell you the truth I didn't think I would win against Sarge... He seems so much more popular than me, same goes for Wes to.

But this thread isn't about my feelings on the election. I want to know what you, the voters, think the number one, and two, problems are in WE&P (I have a few ideas, but I would rather the people choose what they think the problems are).

Vote away, and multiple choices are allowed.

Poll closes in five days.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

who cares about one liners

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Biggest problem I have seen on that forum is thin skin.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

Lack of substance, #1 problem. Cognitive substance mind you...

8. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

The biggest problem for the past year, is that most posters in WE & P are too close-minded to hear anyone else's point of view. People spend most of their time and energy arguing, rather than "discussing". It's seems that almost every good thread is hi-jacked at some point, by posters looking for a pissing contest instead of a debate.

9. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with WE&P. That subject matter attracts exactly the kind of people and material that are there. All of the eye-scratching and hair-pulling are common in political discussions.

Counsler... maybe people didn't vote for you because they like you...

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I'm sometimes confused whether issues of international politics fall in the W.E. or P bins, and I'm curious why the distinction was necessary.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Yes.

To me, there's this whole thing where you try to make sense. You can make whatever assumption and then draw a succession of conclusions based on it. Seems like the problematic folks just make a succession of assumptions. Zero cognition, only regurgitation.

So instead of a discussion, it becomes a platform for their propaganda. It thusly seems like more of and excercise in politics rather than a discussion of it.

12. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Even if that is the case, isn't it better to have a venom-sink to draw the nasties out of the rest of the fora? Think of it more like a detox patch.

13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

The poll is over! The people have spoken! I will now edit and delete even moderate flames. And unconstructive threads will be closed. WE&P is not Free Thoughts.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

6 people have spoken. Don't get all overexcited.

EDIT: I'm not saying you should get 100 votes, but 10 votes total doesn't seem like much.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hmm. Seems pertinent, but I wonder though, do you think the rest of the garden is of any interest to the nasties in question?