Moon Landings

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by NeonSky, Jul 12, 2001.

1. NeonSky Registered Member

My friends and I were talking the other day (we all talk a lot about pointless crap) about the moon landings.
    My friend expressed her strong beliefs that it didn't actually ever happen.
    I was wondering what other people had to say about this as I, again, doubt that it did ever actually happen.
    There is lots of 'proof' to suggest it didn't but there is 'proof' that it did happen too, then again - we've all heard of special effects haven't we!?!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

I'm no longer surprised at come of the crap people believe. One point: how do we know the exact distance to the moon? We bounced a laser off a mirror, and timed it. How did that mirror get on the moon? An astronaut put it there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NeonSky Registered Member

So are you one of these people who believe everything they are told?
    How do you know they know the exact distance? It could all be totally made up.
    I may be talking out of my arse (again) here, and I'm sorry if I am, I just find it hard to believe it all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

I'm one of those people who believe things that I've no reason not to believe. There were tens of thousands of people involved in the moon landings; at the very least several thousand people would've had to be in on the secret. D'you really think that five thousand people could all keep that secret for thirty years?

And what's so hard to believe, anyway? Do you beleive that Voyager 1&2 toured the outer planets? There was a technological feat every bit as daunting as the moon landing. Are those photos of Europa and Io fake too?

8. NeonSky Registered Member

A non-believer

It appears you have not read any of my other posts before, so I will explain.
    I like to doubt things I have not seen with my own eyes. No, actually I like to doubt everything. Sorry, it's just who I am - a non-believer. Prehaps it was a crap subject to bring up... so again, sorry.

9. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: A non-believer

Do you believe in Australia?

10. NeonSky Registered Member

Australia

As I have been to Australia before and most of my family live over there, then yes I do.
    I have seen it with my own eyes, therefore I believe.

Is this a trick question? I feel it is too easy...

11. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: Australia

I bloody knew I'd pick a country you'd been in. Alright. Do you believe in the North Pole? Glasgow? Dublin?

12. NeonSky Registered Member

I do

Actually, I have been to Glasgow and Dublin too.
    No, never been to North Pole but yes I do believe in that.
    Thats a totally different thing and you know it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If I wanted to go to the North Pole, I could. Going to the Moon or Space is another matter!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: I do

So is it easier to believe that Europa is covered in ice, and that we know it because of voyager, or that tens of thousand of people have spent man-decades faking images? That someone was so bored that he thought up a plan to send NEAR to an 'asteroid' and 'land' thereon?

And no, it isn't different. Either you're solipsistic or you're not. If you're not, you need a valid reason for your disbelief.

14. NeonSky Registered Member

Totally Different

Ok, I believe in the North Pole because if I wanted to go - I could!
    However, going to Space is SLIGHTLY different!
    You are making a weak argument here!
    I know you understand what I am talking about.
    I am also not denying the fact that the moon or the North Pole exists, that would of course be stupid! I am simply saying - Did they ever actually land on it?!?
    Different!

15. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: Totally Different

I'm simply saying: why do you think they didn't?

16. NeonSky Registered Member

arg

And I'm simply saying - If I have no definate proof that it happened, then I refuse to believe.
    You look on the web and you will see lots of sights that back up the fact that it didn't happen.
    On the other hand, there are lots of facts that suggest it did happen.
    To me, the facts that it didn't happen out weigh the facts that it did.
    Ok, it was recorded, but people make amazing films with special effects don't they? That's all I'm saying.

17. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: arg

I've yet to see any proof that couldn't be countered by one simple fact: too many people were involved. To suggest that it didn't is to suggest, as I've said, that five thousand people could all keep a secret for thirty years. Which they can, if 4,999 of them are dead.

(Last bit (C) Ben Franklin)

18. NeonSky Registered Member

Dammit

I am too tired to argue.
    You win if you want.
    My opinion remains the same.
    And it is possible for 5000 people to keep quiet. If it saves face and stops them looking like a tit then I'm sure they can keep it shut.
    Anyway, I believe this has become boring and I think it's about time we started a new topic of conversation.
    I enjoy/ed our little debate - argument and I look forward to many in the future.

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Now boys...

Look under the forum of Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology for the thread "Did we really go to the moon?" It has some good points and a info link on this subject.

The title was meant to be humorous

20. NeonSky Registered Member

HeHe

Thank you for that, and yes, you did fail with your title attempt.

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I was thinking of Cheech and Chong's(?) character creation of Sister Mary Elephant when I wrote the title. After rereading it I thought it might be misconstruded so I added the note at the bottom rather than remove the title.

22. NeonSky Registered Member

hmm

Ok, I am sorry - yet again.

23. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Oh pusta,
    No need to apologize! It was said and taken in fun. So I say, Have fun.