Singularity Institute for AI

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Cris, Jul 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

A quote from their web site.

The Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Our charitable purpose is to bring about the Singularity - the technological creation of greater-than-human intelligence - by building real AI. We believe that such a Singularity would result in an immediate, worldwide, and material improvement to the human condition.

Their web site. http://www.singinst.org/

A interesting site.

Cris

Last edited: Jul 12, 2001
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Sorry to burst their bubble, I do not think they will have enough money to pull this off. So the result will turn into another ELIZA - a glorified one.

It will require atleast 100 million dollars worth computers and 30 million lines of code and another 100 million dollars worth labor to even create a seed AI.

Hope they succeed....

There is a danger too. A rouge AI can jump to the internet and if you think todays simple viruses are pesky, it will cause havoc everywhere.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Am intersesting point! Brings to mind several Hollywood's themes. The Lawnmower Man? Or prehaps a version of Tron.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

What we need to do is setup rules and guidelines for serious research in to AI. This needs to be done in about 10 years. We need not worry now.

8. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

*chuckle*

The Welfare Check Man is what it should bring to mind.

Hakuna matata!

Now is never the time to do anything. Manana is much better.

9. kmguru Staff Member

...Finish high school...goto college...get a job...get married...have 3 kids...retire...sit on a rocking chair...look at the sky....

OR is it...sit on a rocking chair...retire...get married to someone with 3 kids...

I just can not remember...getting stoned is no fun....

10. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

OK, but who will ever set up any guidelines?

11. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Kmguru,

I think there are many companies now with very active AI research and development teams, certainly my company has one. But we still need the faster chips to make some of the more interesting aspects of AI function in reasonable timeframes.

To put things in perspective again, we would need the power of around 50 million 2GHz chips to achieve human intelligence (currently expected in about 25 years), and more of course to exceed that. But useful AI will occur long before that time and will be applied to specific tasks. The most interesting at present is vision recognition.

Cris

12. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Cris ...

I find it rather amusing that after almost twenty years of attempting to duplicate human vision, the closest we've come commercially to a task that an infant is capable of by the time it is three or four months old, face recognition, requires not only a 'full face view' but also a human to verify the 'recognition' because of a 20% to 30% error rate.

13. kmguru Staff Member

Cris:

All I can say is that, I can not go out today and buy an AI system or anything close to it - to use in Decision Support Systems for companies such as Xerox, Polaroid or even Boeing. We can do something with expert systems, neural nets, adaptive systems - but not a whole lot.

I now have a need for just-in-time supply chain management system. There is not a single system out there that can keep my inventory not going through the roof (Cisco)or adjust my business processes such a way that I don't have to fire 3000 people.

Yes Research is underway but it is like the Warp Drive...

If I find one, you guys will be the first to know.

14. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

Who's going to do the microprogramming for these things?

I'm assuming that you are not talking about fast memory, but about CPUs, which are normally microprogrammed.
    And that is not even considering the external programming that is required.

Are these AI machines going to program themselves?
    I'm not talking about learning algorithms here.
    I'm talking about the programming that would allow the machine to recognize the fact that it is supposed to learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.