Time goes slower!

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by flukx, Jul 1, 2001.

1. flukx Registered Member

First off, you gotta understand that in the presence of a "normal" mass such as a star or planet etc, the loss in time is almost negligable. In the vacinity of a black hole, things get really weird and unexplainable. But what we do know thus far is that since a black hole has nearly infinite mass and infinite density, things will definitely slow down when getting near the singularity of the black hole. The basic idea is that nothing that is inside of the event horizon of a black hole can escape, the gravity of such a mass is too strong to allow anything to escape. Because of this, imagine a human floating into a black hole, we see this human floating into the hole, but since light does not exist inside of the black hole, the person seems to never move since we cant actually see this person disappear (because light will return the image to us until he actually crosses the event horizon, in which case we wont see this happen because of the enormoous gravity. We will just see this person sitting there forever. Kinda cool.. later buds.

dont think twice its alright

flukx

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

nice to see some humour for a change

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

cool

more please

groove on all

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wants to know Registered Member

einstiens throry

yes same if you are traveling at the speed of light toward a nerby star and lets say it takes you 20 years well when you come back 200 years will have passed here so time really is just a time is on our side if travel of time into the future could be possable at these high speeds. I read alot and this may not sound real but it is .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chip Registered Member

does time go slower

flukx - yes it does seem to.
    you can't see things past the event horizon because of the escape velocity, that, as I'm sure you know, the escape velocity required is greater than the speed of light, so, this guy that you have hanging there forever more is definitely NOT cool to him, though I'm sure his relatives would see it as a great epitaph.

8. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

im sorry all but this is just silly talk!
    the event horizon is surely not a wall of infinite size?!
    so you should be able to see light around it but far away!

you have aknoledged that something travels faster than light!
    but you still think that when u do it makes you fold or reconstruct time!
    i fail to see the ability of something to resist what you have already stated is too great to resist!
    so how does light sit in suspension?
    it must be projecting or reflecting light for us to pecieve it!

we could also state
    (using your rationale)
    that since people operate @ light speed with internal functions that generate light and electricity that the person would exist for eternity on the edge of the black hole!

have i got it completely wrong or just partialy ?

or are we all just texting texulations of textuli ?

groove on all

9. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Definitely that later, Rip

Unless, that is, you're going back in time. In which case it would be the former ... I think (therefore I am? Am what?)

10. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

We won't see a men sitting on the edge of a black hole, but what we will see is that he falls into the black hole, and slowing down forever....

He will never reach the edge, because on the edge the escape velocity is the same as the speed of light, we will see his motion slow down and slow down and he will never stand still or fall in the black hole.
    This is because of the escape velocity what is getting bigger and bigger, and influences the light that comes to us. Concluding to this, he can never reach the place where the escape velocity is the same as the speed of light.

In reality he does fall into the black hole, he will be in the singularity in about the same time it takes for light to get to the singularity.

Another note: A black hole doesn't have an infinite mass.
    It even has not an enormous mass, but the same mass as the star-mother. To form a black hole this star had to be bigger then about 4 sunmasses.
    It indeed has an infinite density, the singularity.
    (we ain't talking about quasars, because most astronomers think they're huge black holes, and when that is right they have a much greater mass)

Corrections welcome....

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Time is simultaneous.

An illusion, but still not. We are everywhere right now.