I need some help, guys

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by pragmathen, Jun 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Hey (Windows Display problem),

My computer won't display past 640 x 480 pixels!! It has a 3dfx Voodoo3 with DX7.0 Support. The <b>Colors</b> panel goes up to True color (32 bit), but the slider on the right won't budge past 640 x 480! The thing is that it was working great the whole week, then I played a game of StarCraft and it stopped working.

I already tried changing the Color panel to a lesser amount of colors but the slider still wouldn't slide.

I know you guys are exceptionally smart about computers and all, please enlighten me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks!

prag

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

It sounds like a driver problem. You should try reinstalling your drivers (perhaps downloading the latest version from the 3dfx website).

If that doesn't work, you should go into the Device Manager and remove all traces of the 3dfx card. Then reboot. Windows should then go through the normal "new hardware found" installation routine. Then reboot. Hopefully Windows will install the correct driver and restore things to working order.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Just to update

I did end up removing the graphics card from my computer system. Then, after rebooting, the wizard came on and reinstalled everything associated with that graphics card. The thing that I had to figure out was that under Display Devices>Settings>Advanced I had to change the default monitor to a SVGA monitor (which kind of makes me think I could have done that in the first place, but I didn't know where to look). So thanks again for your help on this.

P.S. Dave, I didn't know beforehand that \777 was going to post that response in Free Thoughts. I just kind of assumed he'd put it in here. So, sorry about that! But thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It did not occur to me that you had just installed the Voodoo card. I went through this same process when I installed mine. Only I had a moniter that was to small and the Voodoo card will not support a moniter smaller than 15". So I purchased a rebuilt moniter of adquate size and reinstalled the card. You do have to switch the driver to vga in order to display onto the moniter to see to make the changes.

9. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

This is why I use a Macintosh -- things just work <sup>tm</sup>

10. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

weird, i had to sign in.... anyways, good job on getting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.