What is the stuff our dreams are made of?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Merlijn, Jun 14, 2001.

?

What is the relation between body and consciousness?

1. Consciousness? that is in fact only an illusion! ask Dennett

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. I am a materialist. The highly complex informational processing capabilities of our brains enable it

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Bodies are of flesh; minds/spirits/souls are unique and non-material. How they work together is a my

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I only dream to have a body. maybe you are also a product of my dreams. So, this must be the wrong q

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

I just came across a discussion at the Frontier Physics Forum on teleportation. The question was raised, imagine we have a teleporter, can we teleport a conscious being?

I am wondering what the ideas are as to what is the source of our consciousness?

Here is a poll

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. papa_smirf Registered Senior Member

Personally, I question it all. Are we a figment of our own imaginations? Maybe a figment of someone elses. Maybe we are nothing more then a computer program. Or worse yet, a true conciousness part of some sort of expirement. Or an AI inside of a programmed world. Don't believe what THEY tell you. To discover the truth you must be paranoid of everything at all times. This in fact is the only true truth!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Papa_Smirf, Do I hear Descartes sneaking up on me again?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I agree: through doubting the truth may be percieved. But the question how to know the truth is worth a thread of its own.

There is this difficult question...is the following valid?
    Does the fact that the sentence is self-referential prove its own existence?
    Personally I think it does. But I believe, to the strickt rules of logic it does not.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. papa_smirf Registered Senior Member

You can never know the truth because it can always be a mere lie. That's the beauty of paranoia. The key is to believe that what you're seeing now is the best truth as of now. In that way, you can keep a healthy grip on reality while having a twist of phsychoticism in you (creativity

). And as for the following:
    I don't think that it proves itself anymore then this sentence I'm writing now. It's simply a half truth like all things. The question is, if it isn't the truth, then who's in control of the deception?

8. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Maybe I misunderstand you, but I do get the feeling that for a scepticist, you put an awful lot of trust in your senses.

9. papa_smirf Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.