Cooling down that CPU

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bowser, Jun 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I installed a new motherboard which offers a hardware monitor. Watching the temperture of my CPU fluctuate rapidly up and down, I'm now searching for a better way to keep that puppy cool. I've looked around, but all that I can find are the water and peltier coolers. Does anyone know of an alternative method for cooling a CPU? Have you any links?

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/peltiercoolers/

http://www.leufkentechnologies.com/

http://www.leufkentechnologies.com/

http://www.step-thermodynamics.com/CoolingSystems.htm

http://www.tedist.com/overclk.html

Last edited: Jun 11, 2001
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

A lot can be done with air cooling. Look around at some of the hardware sites for reviews on CPU heatsinks -- some names to look for are Alpha, Globalwin, and especially Vantec. The heatsinks these companies make are far better than any standard heatsink that may have come with your CPU.

Once you have that excellent heatsink (should cost about $30 at very most), you'll want to get some high-quality thermal conductor paste to maximize the conductive area between your CPU and the heatsink. Again, this is the sort of thing not done with regular retail CPUs, and it makes a significant difference. Good thermal paste, like Artic Silver, will cost you about $5-$10 but will be good for several CPU installations -- so if you have a friend with some, try to borrow some.

Of course, if you're not looking to overclock, or you're not experiencing any stability problems, there's not much reason to worry about your temperature. CPU temperatures do fluctuate in direct relation with the CPU load.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

as kool as this might seem, as well foolish=
    i have a total of 4 fans in my box. thats right. 4. they are all big too. i also, in times of desperate need take a ziplock baggy full of ice, and stick it in there. keeps my machine running smoooooth.......................

very sexy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. teZting Registered Member

What kind of computer do you have man !?!?!?!
    What's the average temperature of your cpu?

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My cpu jumps up and down between the 90's and 140's, depending on the application. it bugs me to see that happening. The case stays rather constant. i have two case fans which create a cross-flow, and then there is the fan on the HS.

If I still had access to a bridgeport V-Mill, I would machine my own heatsink out of copper and mount two fans on the puppy. I would try to gain as much surface area on the sink as possible, maybe using a compound "S" profile as my model.

9. DeRez Registered Member

What kind of heat sinks and HS fans r u using.

Get an alpha w/ delta 38 cfm fan

This is one of the best on the market next to a thermoengine

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm using a Kwi. It's actually a well designed HS for the price I paid: a piece of extruded aluminum that has small ridges and valleys along the surface of the large fins, an attempt to maximize the surface area I assume. I'm going down to Fry's tomorrow and purchase another fan, then stack it on top of the fan which is already mounted to the HS.

<i>"Get an alpha w/ delta 38 cfm fan..."</i>

I'll check eBay. Thanks for the advice.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Well, I stacked a second fan on my heat sink, and it does keep the CPU a bit cooler. I still want a copper HS, however. That aluminum isn't the best choice of materials.

13. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

Put it in the fridge

Put the whole thing in a refrigerator. Works every time!

14. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Don't bring your comp to the fridge, Bring your fridge to the comp! refrigerated cases run from 200-300 Dollars. good idea! I want one!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

NAY NAY...TRISTAN/BOWZ

JUST GO TO A GARAGE SALE OR A FLEA MARKET.....OR GET YOUR MOTHER IN LAW TO DONATE AGOOD SIZE FRIDGE........

THEN JUST PUT THE DAQMNED COMPUTER IN!!! CUT A COUPLE HOLES WITH RUBBER GROMMLETS FOR THE WIRES TO GO THRU THE CASE!!!!

THE USED FRIDGE WILL ($25.00-$150.00) WILL EXTRACT ALL THE MOISTURE OUT OF THE UNIT, COOL IT DOWN 500% BETTER THAN ANY BULLSHIT AFTER-MARKET ALUMINUM HEATSINKS/FANS THAT YOU CAN BUY, AND WILL RUN ABOUT AS CHEAP AS ALL ALL THE OTHER CRAP THAT THESE ELECTRONIC ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED!!!!!

PS......THERE IS ALWAYS THE ADDED BONUS THAT ANY UNUSED SPACE IN THE FRIDGE CAN BE DEVOTED TO COOL DOWN 6-PACK OF THE BEVERAGE OF YOUR CHOICE!!!!!

GOT LOTS OF HEAT?????? THEN USE AN OLD CHEST UPRIGHT FREEZER!!!!!

DAMN I'M GOOD DAVE ! ! !........WHEN ARE YOU GONNA LET ME BE A MODERATOR?????

16. Pzzaboy Sales Slave Registered Senior Member

what about a large top-opening freezer. The kind that people always have in thier garages full of meat.

the large flat surface would have room for monitors, keyboards, cans of jolt, etc.

as far as the inside, you could get a few full sized towers.

if anyone tries this please let me know how it works.

17. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

Yeah Yeah...chest upright horizontal meat freezer...thats the ticket!!

Yeah Yeah......SAME SAME.......

<i>what about a large top-opening freezer. The kind that people always have in thier garages full of meat. </i>

Yeah Yeah!!!!! same!!!!!!

Any old freezer won't be too cold for any computer equipment! The colder the better!

Hell, a thrifty guy could spend a fraction for a second hand freezer & do a hell of a lot better than giving some bunch electronics salesman several hundreds of bucks for a lick and a promise!!!!!

Take it from Howard, ...........about 15 years ago, we installed a hellishly large refrigeration system for a local electrical utility companies computers (of the '80's). The principle was the same, except that we charged them over $120,000.00 to provide cooling for the computer system at the time.

The old computers of the time ended up being placed on a 2ft. high platform above the floor. Underneath, we ran HVACR ducts that vented up through the false floor into the old '80's computers. The cooling came from conventional HVAC, plain & simple.

Any old fridge can be set to achieve just about any temperature that you want your system to run at. The nice thing about a fridge is that you can always adjust the CPU temperature with the thermostat in the fridge, whereas all that aluminum heatsink/ air fans.. shit may or may not do the trick.....and you could find yourself spending a lot of bucks for something that doesn't work as well as you need it to. Since all fridges & freezers condense out moisture away from the interior and deposit the moisture in a pan underneath the fridge/freezer, the electronic equipment will be kept nice & dry! I would suggest however, that a small (50-125 cfm) fan be fitted into the fridge also, to help circulate the cold air in the box.

It seems that you could find other ways to spend your money then to waste it on aftermarket bs/// heatsinks, fans, ect.... when you can do better the first time with a fridge......

Last edited: Aug 18, 2001
  18. AnotherHuman Registered Member

Liquid Hydrogen

19. ScotiaB Registered Member

Fan

Lol, this is funny but i found the best way to cool my cpu was popping off the case and putting a large fan beside it, and face it towards to open computer. Works everytime! I stumbled accross this when my fan shorted out and I needed somethign to cool it.

I dont use this method anymore but it did work.

20. JackSpratts Registered Member

i don't need to cool my cpu down to the point where molecules cease their movement but i am looking for a way to cool it more quietly.

i've got that athlon 750 sidewinder chip and fan. is there one that does the job but does it with a lot less noise? i'd like to leave it on overnight and now it's keeping me awake.

- js.

21. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

it keeps you awake? WTF?!

22. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

it keeps you awake? WTF?!

the music that the cpu's make is the best in the world... (accually motherboard and hardrive that make noise)

my computers go down only when i am awake, either playing with them or installing Ram...

the hum puts me to sleep... and.... on the occation that the laptop stays on all night... (assuming i am asleep) i still get to sleep.. well.. this has turned into a pointless post with a attempt to delay homework(sigh)

-dexter

23. mcbeef Registered Member

A bit more moderatly(but noisy) alternative for your cooling probs is a Thermalright hs w/ a delta fan. In addition you should use artic silver on the core and on the hs(duh!)...this is a very good combo. Noisy but good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.