Why Seagate Sucked...

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Magus, Jun 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magus Registered Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I need help, can someone out there tell me why Seagate Inc. Posted jumper settings for all of there older HDD except the stupid model ST31? I'm doing a favor for a freind to see if we can get his older than dirt computer jumpstarted. Isent him out to buy a few new parts, and I repaired the CPU fan, and installed and older stlye (the Seagate) Harddrive, but the jumper settings we're wrong, and they don't tell you what size jumpers to use. maybe some of you worked with the older models, because most of this was before my time, I have no past experience to rely on when it comes to setting this thing up. Ayuda Por Favor?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 666 Registered Senior Member

Is it IDE or SCSI, what is the full modle number?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magus Registered Member

the full model number is st3144A, since I have little experience w/ the older models, how can I tell if it's IDE or SCSI

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 666 Registered Senior Member

Magus,

Here are some general specs on the drive.

Capacity: 130.6 MB
    Speed: 3200 rpm
    Seek time: 16 ms
    Cylinders: 1001
    Heads: 15
    Sectors: 17
    SeaFAX#: 31442

I have also attached a .TXT file that has the jumper setting and all the tech spec's on the drive. i will also include the proper font that you will need to view the file. For some reason segate felt they needed to use a non-standard font. I will include a copy of thier off line drive data base just in case you ever need it again.

Good Luck!!

8. 666 Registered Senior Member

Ok for some reason I seems I can upload one file to each post. So here is the font. Just unzip it and copy it into the C:\windows\fonts folder and open the text file with note pad and click on "edit" then on "set font" you should see "Letter Gothic Line" in the list go ahead and select it, and everything should appear normal.

9. 666 Registered Senior Member

Now here is the one I find most usefull. It is Seagates off line data base for information on all of thier drivers. Including Conner and others. By the way your drive is IDE. Let me know if you need more help.

----

Opppsss The file is to large to upload to the site. it is 980kb (just under 1MB). so if any one wants it let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

10. Magus Registered Member

Thanks

I appreciate the help you have been giving me... I don't understand why they would put the specs on a offline database though. I will try to settings sometime this week, I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks again bro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.