electrostatic earphones for the ultimate listening experiance......

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by cosmictraveler, Nov 4, 2003.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

NSS Home Page Nature Sounds Newsletter Fall 1996 Etymotic Research ER-4 Earphones

Etymotic Research ER-4 Earphones
    by Jeffrey Silberman

The Etymotic Research ER-4 earphone is an in-the-earcanal transducer developed specifically to combine flat frequency response with isolation from external noise. It provides 24dB of external noise exclusion, allowing the listener to hear the full dynamic range of today's digital recordings without requiring ear shattering sound levels to overcome the masking effects of external noise, e.g., when monitoring in the same room as a musical performance. Unless external sound is excluded, quiet musical passages cannot be heard unless the volume is turned up beyond levels that are realistic for the louder musical passages. At this amplification, loud inputs may overload the ear, producing the equivalent of 5-10% distortion above 100 dB's. Such unrealistic levels change the quality of the sound. Moreover, decreasing listening levels allows for longer periods of safe listening.

There are two versions of the ER-4 earphones: the ER-4S and the ER-4B. They differ only in frequency response. The "S" is designed for popular and classical stereo recordings and the "B" is intended for binaural recordings (dummy head recordings placed in the audience area). Two types of ear seals are provided: compressible foam or a soft silicone rubber. Extra ear seals of both types are provided. For increased comfort, custom earmolds can be made for the cost of approximately $100.00. Due to the low moving mass of the earphone's diaphragm, transient response, clarity and detail of music is unmatched, revealing every sonic nuance. Moreover, low frequency response cannot be matched by any conventional headphone. The bass response is flat to 40Hz and is down only 3dB at 20Hz! There is no boominess or bass-bump as with headphones; the bass is tight and free of coloration. In short, bass is phenomenal. High Performance Review concluded that the ER-4 earphones were the finest 'phones that it had ever auditioned regardless of price. Similarly, Audio magazine rated them as better than the Stax SR Lambda Pro electrostatic headphones costing over $2000. Stereophile magazine gave the earphones a rave review in the July, l995, issue and rated them as accessory runner-up of the year for l995! The ER-4's and its carrying pouch weigh less than 1 ounce and can fit in a shirt pocket. Consequently, they are ideal for travellers looking for phones that reduce outside noise. Not only will sound not leak in, but sound will not leak out to disturb others. The ER-4's are indispensable tools for recording engineers especially when monitoring in a loud environment and particularly where it is essential to audition every detail of the recording.

Full reviews and specifications are available. The cost is $280 ($50 off list price) with a 30-day money back guarantee.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Electrostatic: a great idea but still in beta testing

We have a pair of Carver electrostatic loudspeakers on our home stereo and they are terrific. Instead of speaker cones they each have a mylar ribbon about 3 feet high and an inch wide. By having a line-focus instead of a point-focus they send out sound wave patterns that are more forgiving of both the shape of the room and the position of the listeners. Of course in a macro environment they don't reproduce bass the way they will in a headphone; the speakers have conventional 12 inch woofers in their bases, pointed straight down. The system can handle 300 watts, which is a lot more than either our room or our ears can manage.

We did have some trouble with them. The original ribbons weren't mylar but some more high-tech material that provided even better sound. Unfortunately it reacted badly with the metal terminals and circuit boards that create the electric field that makes them work. Both ribbons crapped out, precisely at the time the Carver company was out of business. We eventually got them repaired by a guy in Florida who took forever; he's the one who replaced the ribbons with regular Mylar. We can't tell the difference in sound and they're not going to corrode the electronics. But they were out of service for more than two years while all this was going on. And we had to pay a fortune for the repairs (and shipping these enormously heavy units both ways) because the warranty was useless.

I also have a pair of Stax electrostatic around-the-ear headphones. They give fabulous sound too.

Unfortunately I've had my share of trouble with these as well. They require lots more power than conventional headphones. So they connect to the speaker terminals rather than the headphone jack, and have an inline amplifier that crapped out a couple of years ago. I haven't succeeded in getting the box repaired or replaced.

Electrostatic sound reproduction is clearly the way to go. It's the next generation of stereo technology. But I would be careful before diving into it again. It seems to still be in beta test mode. The science is good but the engineering hasn't been completely debugged yet. Nice idea, but you're part of the engineering team rather than a consumer. Think of it as the Windows of stereo. I expect my entertainment technology to work like a Macintosh.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

I agree with the both of you. Electrostatic audio transduction by means of a low-mass diaphram makes a great deal of sense.

On the basis of efficiency, run-of-the-mill electromagnetic cone devices have been likened to using a locomotive to haul a carload of feather pillows. The impedance match between a very thin planar diaphram and air is much better than that of the usual cone piston and air (admittedly, I'm neglecting impedance matching systems employing massive horns).

On the basis of precise audio reproduction, low-moving mass electrostatic systems can really shine.

Michael

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. androgen Registered Senior Member

dude, since when are Etymotics electrostatic ? THEY ARE NOT

u want electrostatic headphones ? buy STAX

by the way, i own Etymotic ER-20 ear plugs, several pairs but not their headphones ( though i considered buying them ). i also considered buying the cheapest STAX that run $800

8. androgen Registered Senior Member

i also considered Koss 950 which are the cheapest electrostats you can buy, at about $500

but Koss only has one electrostatic model and STAX specializes in making electrostatic headphones, they are a japanese comapany and they been making electrostats for 40 years ... so if i had $800 to blow on headphones i would go for STAX

realize one thing, electrostatic headphones are HUGE, they are just ENORMOUS, stax managed to come out with in-ear type electrostats and they are still HUGE. etymotics are tiny, they are NOT electrostatic i can bet you money.

electrostats also require a HIGH VOLTAGE amp, like STAX uses 300 volt or so, and Etymotics can be driver off your damn walkman that has maybe 0.5 volt output.

the amp is part of the reason for high price.

9. androgen Registered Senior Member

oh ye, as if that wasnt enough.

Electrostatic headphones provide NO ISOLATION from external noises. when stax finally came out with closed type electrostats it was a big deal and they cost about $4500