Sexual intimacy with your therapist.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by lixluke, Sep 30, 2003.

?

Sexual intimacy between client and therapist would most likely cause:

1. Positive Consequenses

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Negative Consequenses

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

We live in a very biased world.
    It is assumed throughout the field that sexual intimacy between a therapist and a client would cause negative results:
    Ambivalence, guilt, emptiness & isolation, sexual confusion, impaired ability to trust, boundary disturbance and diffusion of identity, emotional liability, suppressed rage, increased suicidal risk, and cognitive dysfunction, especially in attention and concentration, frequently involving intrusive thoughts, unbidden images, flashbacks, and nightmares.

Positive stories about sexual intimacy between a client and therapist are never heard.
    The closest example is the movie Pumpkin. Pumpkin is an excellent movie about a college student that volunteers to work with a disabled boy who she eventually falls in love with. She must face the consequenses of people refusing to accept her because of this.

What are some of the positive things that might come out of a sexual relationship between a therapist and client?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Mind altering sex.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

therapists screw you up. so youd be getting even by screwing them back.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. weebee Registered Senior Member

I read this post and thought that ‘therapist’ meant ‘councillor’, but the reference to Pumpkin (a film I’ve never seen) seems to suggest that it’s actually a post about sex between clients and their carers.

As I see it if the therapist is a councillor I don’t think there can be a positive outcome, unless its sex counselling! The whole reason the counsellor remains sane (questionable if they ever were to go into that profession) is because they get to go home and leave the problems at the office. If they didn’t then their life would become consumed by other people’s misery (being as they have more than one ‘client’). Counselling to me has a close association to the confession box, and sex with the father confessor would be a weird type of head fuck, I wouldn’t like to see the current psychology profession embrace.

Hmmm, I think there is a science fiction book which has a ‘sect’ of counsellors who have sex with their clients (sorry can’t remember the name) and then there are some S&M followers who would say that their ‘play’ is a type of counselling.

weebee

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Sex has profound effects on the body and mind. emotionally, physically; chemically. So sex between any two people, when dealt with care and respect for the purposes and methods can be a very powerful tool for many possible ends.

However, given its power, most of the time, the razor thin edge between useful therapy and emotional destruction it too thin to be risked. Most of the time, when dealing with a person who knows your most intimate secrets, fears, etc, they have too much of an opurtunity to take advantage of that knowledge to do things which would be detrimental to you. So in most cases, a sexual relationship between doctor and patient is not a good idea - the window for abuse of the original relationship is far to great.

However, there are exceptions to that rule.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

Having someone fuck your brains out, then blackmailing them into writing you prescriptions for whatever prescription drugs you want. What's not to love?

10. valentino Registered Senior Member

Therapists and their clients should only have a professional relationship in my opinion. What happens when you need to talk to a therapist about how your therapist lover is bothering you?

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

There are more than enough Therapists to go around. Simply call it second opinion to appease yourself.

12. Zero Banned Banned

I know something better! A saintly monk battling a seductive succubi.

Hehehehe.

13. Bells Staff Member

I would think that a sexual relationship between a patient and a therapist would involve a relationship where one had much greater power over the other. The individual may approach a therapist for a reason that they seek help and the therapist would be in a position of power over that individual. The result of a sexual relationship in such circumstances would only result in more damage to the patient.

14. Tyler Registered Senior Member

15. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

The ethical rules of intimacy are there for a number of good reasons. A few that I can think of...

1) So your therapist doesn't tell you to do things for your "therapy", which really are manipulations (hence screwing you up more) to get you into bed with them.

2) When you are in an intimate relationship it's a lot harder to be objective, which is highly needed to be a therapist.

16. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

cool skill

it seems to me that you are basing your guide to the concept on a rare situation that has been created to sell box office tickets
    obviousely you wish to discuss the matter but using a film as a guide is a little out in the fantasy realms for a seriouse consideration

the two basic formulas/characters soo far are those who think the therapist can not be trusted and so will manipulate you at any oppertunity

the other though is far fewer in number is those who think they could dominate the therapist for gain of something other than the reason that you would have a therapist

even though both are valid examples of why it would be good to see one to discuss these issues
    hows that for irony

anywho...
    the most likely scenario is that the patient would become obsesive toward the therapist and attribute any personal gains toward the sexual relationship and therefor a concept of transference would be innitiated by the emotional and physical connections
    which would then be psycologicly hinged by an unballanced person to the continued sexual encounter with the therapist

not too complicated realy but with many different type of slants on the similar themes that i wont bore you with as this is more a light hearted thread

maybe the type of therapist is the key to the issue if you raise a sexual issue then why not ask specificly about a sex therapist
    even though it is my understanding that it is almost un heard of for a sex therapist to engage in sexual connections with a client anyway

groove on

17. Silent Beauty Registered Member

^^ " Oh dear this is a funny thread too but very enlightening to read to say the least!

Can you just imagine?Sex with your therapist? And what if you are smarter than your therapist and you end up being the one who "mind fucks " them? The games you play with your mind.
    Body and brains. Yes, it would be a positive thing. Indeed!

The most positive aspects I can think of are those where you can play cat and mouse together. Indulging in the most basest desires in which you can never get out of. Hm. Then we'd definitely need a prescription to get OUT of that addiction now wouldn't we?

Another positive thing: Free sessions!!

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I think sex could be a great form of therapy. A therapsit and a patient that are attracted to eachother might as well engage in sexual acts as part of the treatment.

19. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

cool skill
    sounds like you are talking about a sex teacher
    maybe you should get some personal experience before writing your book!

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I'm not talking about a sex teacher.
    I'm talking about this whole taboo in the mental health field about clients and therapists getting together.
    Hey if you like each other, go for it.
    As long as the therapist isn’t taking advantage of the patient, there’s really no point in holding back.

21. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Close but no cigar...

Mind altering + sex

22. coluber Registered Senior Member

Its very wrong the people that go to a docter need help. They are emotionally unstable their docter is taking advantage of thier weakened state and confusion.

23. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

coluber
    because of the sexual obsesion/disfunction of many people of certain age ranges and such like groups
    there is often a confusion between the concepts of sexual therapy and genral therapy
    a good therapist would be able to get a guide as to where the main issues would be and then suggest any alternative aproach that may have some one who goes to a sexual therapist to go to a normal therapist or the other way round
    the main thread posture is unclear as to the nature of the type of therapy sought and the potential issue that is required to be worked on ..
    this is the human science area and not the ethics area .. though they are closely related in many peoples perceptions