What is "character"?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wesmorris, Sep 26, 2003.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

What comprises character? I usually think of it in the ethical sense. Gendy says that there are all types and they don't all jive. I think that's a good point but I'm trying to figure out why they don't jive. It leaves me asking questions about character though.

Seems to me that if one is agnostic (which in and of itself ethical) then ethics is quite close to a matter of pure logic (as long as you agree that it is reasonable to accept reason as a valid form of problem solving... you don't reject 1 + 1 = 2). When I refer to your character in the sense in question I basically mean "you are amazingly ethical" if I think "you have a shitload of character".

This doesn't jive with her point I don't think so I wonder... what is the proper and complete context of the concept of character? Any takers?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Def

So I look it up using googledic, FYI (it's only semi-relevant I realize):
    That was just the first definition. Can this word be precisely defined?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A character is........

wesmorris

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I think "character" is one of those things that everyone knows, like with "common sense" yet is very hard to define properly.

"The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another."

Which is vaguely close to what I think of immdeiately as character, the totality of reactions of someone, the way they interact with the world in a particular manner, it sthe fixedness of the reactions and interactions that count.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Character is something that most people want but few have.

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

What is character?..hmm belongs in the philosohpy section really.

I percieve character to be an image others create of you. A complex social visage that they mold out of you out of your actions you undertake in society. One can choose how they wish to be percieved by controlling their actions for preffered outcome. One's character can come off as disgraceful and brash or honorable and wise.

It is more than that but i figure social interactions shape your character and through those others assign a character to you with certain specific characteristics.