Conversations in the mind

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by yesemina, Sep 16, 2003.

1. yesemina Registered Senior Member

One of my friends told me that he hears conversations going on in his mind, nearly all the time. Sometimes he tells me about them - one time he mentioned something about two old men talking. One time I asked him what language they were speaking - if it was English or Spanish (because his native language is Spanish), and he said that he didn't know because he wasn't paying enough attention.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In addition, he says that sometimes he sees pictures in his head and it is like he is watching a movie; almost as though he can just sit back and watch it play in his mind. He says he thinks that his brain is picking up on things from another dimension, or just things from somewhere else in the world - something to that effect.

I just want to know if anyone knows anything about this. There a couple other things about him, too, which caught my attention. One of them being that he has had dreams before where a small circle or a small line will appear in his head and keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger. When he told me this, I felt scared. Then I realized that I had had dreams like that before. He says that he thinks it happens when you have a question in your mind, or something in your subconscious that is bothering you. When he told me that, I said "how did you know that?" and he said, "Oh, when I said that I wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, it just came out." He says that sometimes things just fly out of his mouth without him even really knowing what he is saying.

Also, one more thing - he is a bit of a psychological hacker. He likes to play with words and get people to give him information that he wants without them even knowing that he wants the information. He also loves algebra - because he loves to figure out millions of different ways to solve a problem. He is a "big-picture" person; the type to stay quiet and sit back and observe everyone while he is figuring everything out. He says that if I wanted to try to understand him, I would get confused...and that he would make me think that I understand him when in reality I don't - which means that he has a part of him that he wants to block out from me for one reason or another.

It's funny because he mirrors a couple of people I have met previously before to an insane extent. They all are dyslexic and have attention span problems, are observers, and psychological hackers.

Analysis, comments, etc., anyone?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I have personal expirience with what he is expiriencing, and there are thousands of explinations. The most common responces that you will be given, IME, are:
    1)He is boarderline scitzo
    2)He is aware of subtle things in the universe, which his mind is translating into words which he then "hears"
    3)He is hearing random nueron firings in the auditory center of his brain.

I have very vibrant dreams, many lucid, and many pre-cognitive. I have a 17 year history of knowing a few days ahead of time before someone I am close to dies (though no details on who or how, just someone close to me - it's quite frustrating). I have, in the past three years, found a specific method of meditation which allows me to "hear" voices which tonot apear to orriginate from inside myself. They are not my voice, nor any voice of anyone I recognise, and they have conversations. Sometimes with each other, and sometimes they just seem to talk to nothing, about nothing.

Personal evidence that these things are in fact, outside of my own nuerosies:
    1)pre-cog. dreams. I have kept a dream journal on and off for years, and I have made it a habit of telling friends/family of certain dreams, so that when they occur I have evidence outside of my own beliefs. This has proven to myself and my friends that these things are real.
    2)It just FEELS that way, and I have come to trust my instincts on things.

Evidence that these things are NOT outside my own brain-farts
    1)the specifics on the conversations had by these voices is difficult to pick up. This would be expected if they are just subtle mis-interpretation of synapse firing. The randomness of the firing wouldn't easily allow for cohesive structure within the conversations.
    2)the lack of details in pre-cog dreams. Maybe I just happen to remember those dreams which just happen to be similar to things which later occur. It could be that they are just likely to occur because of the current state of things, so when they *do* occur, it's not a surprise at all.

It seems to me that patterns are an integral part of awareness. It also appears to me that everything int he world exsists on a variable scale of degrees; as such everyone's pattern matching ability works better/worse/differently. So people who are good at pattern matching, and appear to be smart in cognative tests, also have a tendancy to be "crazy." They are not broken, and these two thing (intelligence and nuerosies) are not seperate items, but similar symptoms of a brain which pattern-matches with a wider focus (ie one person won't see the similarities between an airplane and a squirell, while another will be able to more liberally apply the defining characteristics of each, and recognise the similarites in areodinamic design, at least)

He, IMO, should be happy with his "abilities", and try and develop them. Learning more about them will lessen the chance that they will end up taking over later in life. But don't forget to live life while doing that! If all else fails, I feels it's really important to be able to look back on your life and feel good about it at any time, given the simple fact that it may end at any time.

As for the controlling other people without them realising it, I used to do that alot as a kid, but then I began feeling guilty. I stopped completely, but now have begun using it to help people answer their own quesitons. It seems like a fair and usefull application of the ability.

Good luck!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Abnak Registered Senior Member

yesemina, while I do not have any experience with what your friend describes , I would like to contribute to river-winds list by including :

4) electronic devices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

United States Patent 5,159,703
    Lowery October 27, 1992

Silent subliminal presentation system

Abstract:
    A silent communications system in which nonaural carriers, in the very low or very high audio frequency range or in the adjacent ultrasonic frequency spectrum, are amplitude or frequency modulated with the desired intelligence and propagated acoustically or vibrationally, for inducement into the brain, typically through the use of loudspeakers, earphones or piezoelectric transducers. The modulated carriers may be transmitted directly in real time or may be conveniently recorded and stored on mechanical, magnetic or optical media for delayed or repeated transmission to the listener.

Inventors: Lowery; Oliver M. (5188 Falconwood Ct., Norcross, GA 30071)
    Appl. No.: 458339
    Filed: December 28, 1989

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also River , your # 2 "sounds" very far fetched .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Yes, it does, but if you even happen to have the opurtunity to actually hear these conversations/voices, it suddenly becomes much more plausible. If for no other reason then its possibility makes you "special" and not "a nut"

All in all, however, your brain doesn't hear anything; in reality, it only receives an electrical impulse which it interprets as sound and words. Given the amount of information our subconsious minds holds (the stuff which is only available to us when we are asleep/under hypnosis, etc), it could see it creating connection and seeing patternes in the world which we will never consiously realise, simply due to the massive amount of data we would have to deal with in ordeder to find those connections.
    Or maybe I just want to justify the chance that I'm special

8. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

that used to happen to me. its annoying as hell in my opinion. makes ya' feel like a nutter hearing voices that arent there that you just cant quite understand... however about the abilty to "sychologicaly hack" i have never been able to be that subtle. but i can usualy learn what i want... but in sneakier, less legal, ways.

and ive never predicted anything in dreams. i used to never be able to remember my dreams, but latly ive been having alot.
    and i pray to the stars, demons, angle, and whatever heaven might exist that they dont come true! for my and humanities sake...

9. Abnak Registered Senior Member

Actually River , when you consider that most people in the world adhere to some kind of religious belief system that includes communicating in some way to a percieved supernatural being , yesimina's individual ( fictitious or not ) has billions of others that share similar "experiences". So the significance you apply to yourself ...is all in your head .

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

or
    5.) He has a very active imagination.
    Often when I think about things, I will have or witness conversations in my mind.
    It is a form of introspection sometimes.
    Sometimes it is just fantasy.
    Sometimes it seems totally random.
    I am (trying to be) a writer.
    The stories I write often "happen" in my head, and I just assume the role of observer and tell what I am watching.

It doesn't make me psychotic or a channeler of anything.
    It is just a vivid thought process.

11. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Very possible. However, having talked to many, many people, I have met very few who hear the spiritual world reply in words. While the religions of the world's billions do deal with "talking" on a spiritual level, I'd estimate that less than 5% of those who I've talked to about this have any expirience of hearing a "voice" in reply to their prayers/spells/invocations/ceremonial incantations; no matter the religion in question.

I would love to meet up with other people and discuss this phenomenon, however, many people that I have talked to about this have very religious view of what they have expirienced - something which I cannot relate to. So as soon as someone says "I hear God", I can say "that's cool", but little else. I have a hard time trying to discuss the cause of the expirience with the person, because most of the time the conclusion that the voice/s they hear is/are God himself tends to come from their faith, and not a logical deduction that can be argued or proved.

So out of the <5% (of the general population) which have heard voices which don't *feel* like a part of themselves (ie a voice supposedly from somewhere outside of themselves), a full 35% have a limited ability to discuss that phenomenon, due to their faith in the source of the voice/s.

IME, there aren't many who fit the profile of a person who knows what I'm talking about but also doesn't immedeatly assume God, so I would say that there is something fairly unique to it. Whether that uniquness comes from imagination, chemical imbalance, God-talk, or phycic ability, I don't know. But most of the 6 billion people in this world, as far as I can tell, do not know the expirience -whatever the cause, it's much different from prayer.

Or else my sample of the population (the people I've talked to) is scewed in such a way that most people do in fact hear the spiritual world reply in words in their head, I've just not met these people. It's certainly possible. The people I know tend to be fairly wealthy, and tend to live in certain nations, and in certain cultures; despite my efforts to not become overly attached to that group. I work on computers all day, there is only a certain number of people who I will end up talking to during that period.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  12. hehe Registered Senior Member

A F F I R M I T I V E