An attack of the stares

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Taffy Wake, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

what do you think is happening when you get what i call 'an attack of the stares' when you focus mindlessly on an object (not really ON the object) and can't shift your gaze...as if your gaze is leaden...but you're not taking it in at all, you're not focused upon it.

do you know what i mean? and if you do, why do you think it happens?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I do that when I meditate. I focus on an object, like a candle, and clear my mind of everything else. I think that's what your mind might be trying to do, getting rid of to many thoughts going on and trying to concentrate on just one thing to let it rest a bit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

to me it's less like meditation and more like epilepsy.

anybody else know what i'm talking about and got any suggestions?

t

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Epilepsy is a very serious disease that has convulsions during an attack. What you need to do is call your doctor and get a visit with him / her to try to get more information than anyone on this board can give you. I don't think it's serious as you think, but still call your doctor.

8. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

oh, i don't mean that kind of episode, not a convulsion. epilepsy can present with quite different symptoms.

as deja vu can be symptomatic of epilepsy (which is only a misfiring of the brains electricity) i wondered if 'the stares' could be also.....

but that was really just and 'out there' suggestion. i'm just curious about it...

9. Hemlock Registered Senior Member

I know what you mean and I find it quite relaxing and soothing. It's common too!

10. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

thank god hemlock! i was starting to think i was a bit of a freak....

11. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

were all freaks in our own special way.
    some more than others.
    and some more than anyone has a rite to be.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Probably, our minds need a break now and then from constant stimulation. I would take it as a sign to relax. Might have something to do with autism, too.

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Taffy:
    Attack of the stares. I like that. The Stares.

I've always thought of it as mind on standby. Ever notice that when in a moving car, trying to keep your eyes still while staring out the window is damn near impossible? Try it....can't do it. Your eyes shift despite you demanding they stay still.
    Its as if the brain is always needing to hone in on something and stay on it. Concentration addiction........or something.
    Centridiction.
    Concediction.

!

Concedition. There's a word.

I don't know why it happens, but I'm sure you know the brain is halved and in between is a fleshy bridge of corpus callosum. Since this bridge is cut in epileptics to stop the flux of info going haywire between the two halves, maybe staring attacks are a way to tame the madness..............if you follow.