Music and People

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dapthar, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Dapthar Gone for Good. Registered Senior Member

Why do you think that people nod their heads, or clap their hands, or more generally, move in a manner to follow the rhythm of music when they hear it?

Also, have any studies been conducted on this material? If so, what was the conclusion? Finally, has this type of behavior ever been noticed in other animals?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I have considered this, and based solely on anecdotal evidence, I think it's social evolution. Those individuals who were better at joining the group in dancing/singing rituals would be more likley to have children. Thus driving dancing/music ability through evolution.

Why would dancing/music be part of religion at all? Because it is a form of communication and a method for connecting between two individuals. Wolves make music to connect with each other, too. They just don't write down the notes after they sing

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Some people have more rhythm in them than do others. I think they"feel" the beat within them and sway, clap, dance or nod to the sounds, whatever they may be. I like to clap and sway to good beats myself.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river-wind Valued Senior Member

maybe "feeling" sounds is like that thread here a while ago about hearing colors? Maybe people with a better musical ability can sense the sound in other areas than just the auditory range. For whatever reason, maybe they can, to a certain degree, feel, taste, see it, or something. I know that I can get into music , and block out everything else, let the music become the world. Maybe some people can do that really well, and to a physical level?

FYI, I can't dance, so I don't really know.

8. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

dancing is about letting go, if you do it right, you will get a decent high out of it and more ez-going/ ez-doing.

Besides it looks good to see all that bootylicious stuff in motion...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2003
  9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

See if these help

http://www.jivemagazine.com/content_articles.php?ID=79

http://www.colinhume.freeserve.co.uk/Private/dtwhy.htm

http://www.worldartswest.org/plm/guide/activitypages/thinktalk/whyhow.shtm

TLC had an excellent program on human mating rituals that talked about dancing as a mating call of sorts. It arouses people in ways.

10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Quoted:
    "Why do you think that people nod their heads, or clap their hands, or more generally, move in a manner to follow the rhythm of music when they hear it?"

Maybe human do feel that every type of music beat can arouse their body to move, accordingly to the beat..... hard beat will be followed by 'shaky' move, while the slow one cause body swings.....

11. valentino Registered Senior Member

Of course humans enjoy music, it is a gentle steady beat in their bodies that keeps them alive.

12. river-wind Valued Senior Member

that's a very good point- we first grow with the sound of our mother's heartbeat surrounding us, and then fall asleep to that same sound as we rest on their (her's and father's and uncles' and aunts') chest. Then we have our own beat which follows us through life. maybe Music has a mimicing property of that beat, and the comforting feeling that we associate with our first years.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  13. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

if im not mistaken isnt it the cerabellum (spelling??) that handles both rythm and advanced emotions?