Human Beauty

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by apendrapew, Sep 4, 2003.

1. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

I wonder... with all the advantages there are to being beautiful why with genetic assortment going on for billions of years, a higher percentage of good-looking people don' t exist. I know what's beautiful and what's not is subjective... but at the same time it's really not.

What's up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

study reproductive science

maybe you could ask you question to a genetisist
    or someone who works with genes

im sure they willl be able to answer your question more accurately than i could

its a slightly long winded answer with some big words in it so i wont bother confusing you with me bad spelling

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well technically there are no evolutionary advantages to being beautiful....even though a pretty face can get you far without much takent or strength. A pretty face is only pretty as long as it doesn't stand in the admirer's way, as soon as that pretty face poses any harm or convictions on the "Ugly" admirer's life watch that admiration for that beauty drop and self preservation measures kick in. Many find J-lo to be terribly beautiful but god knows they'd shove her out of the way if she stood in the building on fire.

Beauty is subjective and there are not any real advantages to being very beautiful...well not any natural planned ones.....even though early cave men preffered thin bodies women with hourglass figures.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Have you seen Malena?

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

apendrew:
    No shit. Fuglies are a powerful force to be reckoned with.

For every 100 beauties that ornament the gene pool, there is one incredible fugly that muddies up the water and throws it back to square one by diluting.
    Which is why this world is not covered with a delicious coat of Chris Cornells and Tim Roths.

There is no evolutionary point.

9. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I can't give an adequate answer, too little space. I'd suggest that you read The Evolution of Desire, by David M. Buss.

Beauty is both culturally and evolutionary determined. Certain facial features and other physical qualities are preferred by men and women across all cultures.
    And all over the world, women prefer tall men.

Not everyone can achieve the mate they would like. And women find social status, power and confidence attrative. This can make some homely men very successful with women.

In Rolling Stone years ago, I read an interview with Simon Lebon, the lead singer for Duran Duran. He was asked why rock stars date supermodels. He replied, "that's like asking why dogs lick their balls. Because they can!"

I'm sure to an alien species, we would all look remarkably alike. From that perspective, it would be like the average layperson trying to tell the difference in a flock of sheep. Easy for the shepherd, but not for anyone else.

Studies have found that facial symmetry is a beauty cue world over. And studies have also found that very young children, much too young to have absorbed any cultural bias, respond positively to faces generally considered good looking, and will have generally negative reactions to faces considered unattractive.

And youth is the biggest beauty cue. Youth coincides with fertility, so it is really no surprise that young looking people are always the most attractive. Attractiveness fades rapidly as we go beyond our procreative years.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Somewhat of it..never got around to it even though it rests in my HD. Wasn't she dragged out and beaten brutally by the town women in the end?

11. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Yup. Monica Bellucci.... * ORRRRRGASM * gets ravaged hardcore near the end of the movie. Well, I thought it was relevent.

It does make sense what you were saying.. I sorta didn't consider that.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Sad..such a hottie was beaten mercilessly.

Oh it is so true...just look at the media events in the US..how a loved celerbity can be reamed and taken shots at after a little mess up. In the end we care only ourselves.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Well...
    This is how I look at it...

At risk of sounding shallow...

1.) Stunningly beautiful people, as you pointed out, are not in abundance.

Who sleeps with these "beautiful" people? Other beautiful people.
    They have beautiful kids.

Who sleeps with the less than beautiful people? That's right. Other less than beautiful people.
    And how do their kids come out? That's right.

Less than beautiful people don't not get laid, they just don't often get laid by the beautiful ones.

Selective in-breeding.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I still remember the episode of Seinfeld where he explained to Elaine that 90% of the population was "Undateable". Then she asked him, "Well, how are all of these people gettin together?" "Alcohol", he said.