Phobophobia

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by curioucity, Aug 31, 2003.

1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

phobia (this thread was formerly known as phobophobia)

Hello

<b>I decide to generalize this thread a bit, so don't be surprised</b>

We know the term phobia, for sure, and some examples like hydrophobia, anemophobia, etc etc which are easy to explain..
    But can someone explain how does a phobophobic look like? It's odd to fear a fear......

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mikki Registered Member

Phobophobia, the fear of fear? Wow, is that really real? :bugeye: Sounds kind of funny to me. I don't know what to say about this one except that phobophobics sound kind of paranoid to me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. yesemina Registered Senior Member

Ha! It makes perfect sense to me. A lot of times I only start to fear something because I am so aware that it may be something that will cause fear in the first place, and I start to think about what will happen if I do fear it - so I become worried about the fear. Or, it's more like when I'm trying to go to sleep, and I start to fear that I won't be able to get to sleep, and then I start fearing the fear.

I have an over-active imagination anyway.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mikki Registered Member

I'm starting to get it now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Like my fear of fearing people, for example. If I start fearing people, everyone's going to think I'm paranoid and I might really become paranoid. And... My fear of fearing gays and lesbians. If I begin fearing gays and lesbians, it's just not right. I'm becoming close-minded.

So... Yes. I'm beginning to understand phobobia now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

so, in your opinion, is phobophobia the same as denial of fear?

9. Mikki Registered Member

Denial of fear? Hmm... Not really. Did I sound like that in my other post? I'm just going to go with the definition, fear of fear.

10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

As stated on my editted post in the beginning of the thread, I have an extra question here

Do phobias come merely because of traumatic experiences? Can they come genetically (like if one granddad was afraid of snakes [serpentphobia, maybe, possibly wrong term], one may have fear of snakes as well)?

11. river-wind Valued Senior Member

sort of like the whole "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" thing...

you've got me thinking, thanks!

fear of hieghts is inheritable. My Dad is afraid of hieghts, and so am I. Never had any reason to be though. Never been hurt from falling. And I love rock climbing - as long as it's no more than 20 feet off the ground.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It is quite real and a debilitating condition for those who suffer from it. It doesn't work the way you're probably thinking it does (example: scared of every little shit out there). It might have a different name though, actually i am pretty sure it does and it is a personality disorder.

13. willson13 The Villiage Idiot Registered Senior Member

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Curiocity:
    I'd be the easiest thing to say that this loathe we've acquired for the reptiles is an heirloom from that Garden back then, but its not. Young apes and monkey are known to grimace and blow up around snakes without ever having been exposed.

Maybe its genetically imprinted that higher speices avoid vermin since the higher up we go the more susceptible the animal becomes to their toxins. Here's some useless info: did you kow that no other species on this planet is vulnerable to the venom of a funnel spider except apes and humans?

And its not just serpents- its roaches, fleas, mites, spiders,rats...all kinds of creatures that squealing little women find detestable. Those Biblical storytellers have lots of explaining to do.

** Edit**

My hyperbolic fear is that I fear that I fear for my sanity.

15. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

How odd......
    Even odder about that funnel spider...... True, most biovenom consist of proteins which only harm certain types of bioparticle, but how can it become that specific? though actually I'm quite disgusted too by spiders....
    Or did I forget about virus?

About fear again, I wonder if fear of falling and fear of height are the same thing, by the way. I often walk around high places or buildings rooftops and I don't feel afraid, but when I come to an edge of the rooftop and look down, I suddenly shiver.....

Eh, you mentioned bout Bible? Funny too...... many women seem to be described to fear 'disgusting or dangerous' animals, and more about the snake.......