What proportion of men you have met/observed are sexist?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by ele, Aug 25, 2003.

?

What proportion of men you have met/observed do you perceive as sexist?

1. 20% or less

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 21-40%

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. 41-60%

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 61-80%

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. 81- 100%

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. ele Registered Senior Member

I have posted this as a topic. Now i am trying to make a poll.
    The idea is you need to say if you are female or male, and then say a percentage you think is a fair representation of your experience. i thought it would be interestingt o se what the outcome was and if it differed between men and women.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ele Registered Senior Member

Sexism is when a man refuses to accept a woimans behaviour because he has an image of how a woman should behave, when he refuses to see that awoman is a person at least as much as himself, when he refuses to see a woman's capabilities or intelligence because he doesn't think of women in that way, o rwhen he regards women primarily as sexual targets and not people. (This definition is not exclusive.)

Thanks James R for showing mehow to post a poll.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Depends. Most men I interact with are basically sheep, so I'd say all of those.
    Friends, 'acquaintances I hang out with but aren't quite friends', none.

I myself am 'sexist' in that I don't like women in general. But I don't fit your definition.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ele Registered Senior Member

Hi xev. i said the definition i gave wasn't intended to be exclusive.
    hey i know i forgeot something didnt i- the male femal ebox. damn i am going to have to try again otr change it.

8. KitNyx Registered Senior Member

I posted this in the other discussion by the same name...

I took a sociology class in college a few years back and I was really disturbed. The class consisted of 3 males and an estimated 20 females. The first day of class our professor asked if there were any feminists in the class. I was the ONLY person to respond affirmatively. Granted most of the other students were quite a few years younger than myself.

It seems to be a growing trend. Women are beginning to view feminism and the whole movement with distain. Do men view women as objects? I think so, but I also think that part of the reason for this is the growing belief with younger women that their roles as sex objects actually give them power. Women are realizing that they already have equal rights UNDER LAW. The fact that they can flaunt their sexuality and make men do stupid things is just icing on the cake. Do not get me wrong, I do not believe a man's inability to use both heads at once is any fault of women. I also do not blame them for using this tactic on men, most men welcome the experience.

So, do I believe women are seen by men to be sex objects? Yes. I think it is actually something many women encourage (as long as it does not get out of hand). I, being a feminist, am saddened by this 180 in womens social roles, but who am I to judge what others feel is right for them? I wish this were a world that would judge people strictly on their convictions, beliefs, and actions, but it's not. Legs are sometimes the strongest factor in a persons judgement of another person.

- KitNyx

9. ele Registered Senior Member

Kitnyx, i am i think in agreement with you in how we wish people were judged, at least if they are to be judged at all. I think it is nicer not to be judged.