Psychic experience

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by ele, Aug 23, 2003.

1. ele Registered Senior Member

I wondered how many of us have had psychic experiences and what types of experienceds they were and if they were freely willed or came to us? Do you believe that telepathy, clairvoyance, telekinesis, etc have a bilogical or psychologiacl base? Is ther a genetic similarity between individuals who do seem to wield some influence on events?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

I have.
    Once very strongly.
    Many times moderately.
    And lots of times where it might have just been somehting I ate.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I absolutely think/know that it is possible.
    How....dunno.
    Why....dunno.

Mine came absolutely spontaneously about an event that really had no significance at all.
    Same with that de ja vu thing.
    It seems to be more of a pain in the ass now then anything.
    It seems like the harder I try to see what is going to happen next the more I just end what ever is happening at the time and my relationship to it.
    Go figure.

The line between science and psuedo are blurring.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ele Registered Senior Member

So you have experienced a psychic incident? I did once- dreamed someone from school was injured in a motorbike accident at a location out of town before it happened, and it wasn't even someone i knew.
    What was yours?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

First, I think this thread will probably get moved... but I could belong in this forum if the conversation avoids pseudoscientific thinking and remain focused on the critical reasoning of science.

The idea that humans have psychic abilities has been around probably longer than man has recorded history. No compelling or convincing evidence has been recorded to support it.. at least none that would stand to scrutiny, but yet it remains as a part of human lore.

I think that this exists partially because of the human nature to excel and become more than we are... to constantly improve our "condition."

But I also think that a good bit of it comes from the human capacity to seek, find, recognize, and interpret (albeit subconciously for the most part) patterns. This is the concept of intuition.

We have a unique ability to make judgements of probability without engaging in complex mathmatical thought the way a computer would have to. For instance, take the simple action (or not so simple if you live in the Dallas Metroplex) of driving on the freeway. Think of all the times you anticipate the actions of other drivers. Think of the constant comparisons you do subconsciously of velocities, distances, angles, escape routes, etc. Some of us do better than others, but it is no less wonderous.

Consider that a computer cannot do this. Not yet, anyway. We're getting close, but the AI needed is probably pretty intense.

We also do this same activity in every facet of our waking lives. During our sleeping lives, who knows what kind of processing is going on in our computers we call brains? But the pattern recognition is the key. Just as you can see family resemblances in people, so can you see patterns that can predict possible and probable outcomes of various situations.

This is, doubtless, one of the evolutionary features that allowed our species to survive. It certainly wasn't our ability to physically fend off grizzlys, tigers, and rhinos. It also wasn't our keen sense of smell that enabled us to locate prey.

Then, add in the certain amount of coincidence that is statistically probable and certain, and you get many instances in our lives where we attribute the intuition as something more.

Anyway... that's my thought on the subject. I'm reasonably sure that there is no validity to psychic abilities among humans, though it is possible. There just is nothing to suggest that it is more than intuition combined with coincidence.

8. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Damn Skin,you sound like a smart guy.
    I myself could not even begin to tell you how,when where why and all the other specifics to this topic.
    All I know is that there has been numerous times that I have had knowledge of events happening before they visualy do.
    Thats all.

Everything you have said makes sense.
    Peace Out

9. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately ele,mine was not even near the level of drama yours had.
    Mine was actually quite a waste of time in my opinion.
    Real simple,Happened when I was about 17 years old.
    Standing in the gym talking mindllesly with my buddies when all of a sudden I just KNEW my friend Paul was going to be walking through the gym doors.
    It was not quite a clear picture,it was like feeling and picture being the same thing,The image came so fast and I knew the event was going to be immediate,I could not even get the words out in time trying to express what it was I just experienced,
    I just turned around sharply and stood there staring at the gym doors,waiting for him to walk through.
    At the last second I managed to blurt out the words,"Pauls coming"in a slightly hysterical manner.
    Sure enough,there comes Paul waltzing throught he door.
    I never mentioned it to him,never have.
    Thats about as exciting as it got.No deaths,no money involved,
    told you it was quite boring.
    Since then I have never had an insight as strongly as that one.
    That would be the only one I would consider a pshycic experience.

All the other ones were more like gut feelings and intuitions like Skin was saying.
    We probly should move this conversation to the Para site unless we are going to be using scientific terms and all.

Peace Out

10. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

maybe some forune tellers aren't really psychic, or skilled with the cards, but just highly skilled psychologists? they can look at a persons body type, think about how that person may feel about their body, and the more they talk to the person, the more they may know, or think they know, and so on. ehhh crrrammps...must get off computer...