the best adivce on conquring addiction

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by dribbler, Aug 23, 2003.

1. dribbler Banned Banned

would anyone be interested in providing insight as how to conquer a/an addiction(s).

please provide any links possible.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just don't start to begin with, that way you won't be asking these types of questions. You need to specify what addiction ou need to know about. If you then use Google to get the answers you'll see it works just fine. Just ask, where can I find information about whichever substance . You'll get results.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Way to evade the question, cosmictraveler!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

He asked for a link and I gave him Google, what better way to find things out about anything I'd say, wouldn't you? Seeing as how we don't know what type of addiction he is writing about it would make sense to answer in this way.

8. Yeah . . .

Firstly, you didn't give a link; you recommended a search engine.

Secondly, you didn't give an answer either. Effectively, you responded, Well, son, you're in the shit if you're addicted because I don't have squat to tell you.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Redoubtable

You really are a piece of work. You never gave anything to help him at all! So what are you trying to show people here , just how low you really are? I'd keep your writing to yourself so as not to show your stupidity to everyone. You could have given him links if you knew of any but everyone sees you didn't.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2003
  10. angeluniting Registered Member

You have already started !!!!! The first step in conquering any addiction is admitting you have a problem. Next, i would suggest confiding in a friend and asking them for help. It takes alot of will power to fight an addiction (ANY addiction). Seek out groups that share the same addiction and begin going to recovery meetings, pray, meditate and believe in yourself, You can do it!!!

11. Cosmictraveler

I was addressing you, not him. I didn't leap up to advise him, but only to berate you since you, of course, did leap up under the pretense of helpfulness.
    Had you not posted your unhelpful blather, I wouldn't have informed you that it was unhelpful blather; I wouldn't have posted at all.

My reason for posting is your lack of reason for posting.

12. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Dribbler:
    Not really but since you asked. Most would recommend wearing a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it whenever the urge to smoke, eat, drink, masturbate, molest, kill, curse, or watch Ricky Lake takes over. But that's bosh.

I suggest you try staying at home with the lights out slowly weening yourself from the ills of society, a dank closet, Somalia for a week or two, or Oprah if you're lazy.

13. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

Sometimes getting rid of all your so-called "friends" is a big help.

14. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

1. Realize first that you want to stop.
    2. Find out why you want to stop.
    3. Make sure the reasons are yours or affect you most.
    4. Convince yourself you want to abstain from your addictions.
    5. Seclude yourself for however long till you feel you are ready for the next challenge.
    6. Then most importantly, face similar circumstances that initiate or excite your addiction, starting from least potent to most potent.
    7. Repeat cycle if you fail and avoid self-denial of success if you fail more than twice. If this does not work, seek professional help.

Peace and luck. :m: