Faster than light!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by moementum7, Aug 18, 2003.

1. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

First of all this is my first post in this forum.Hey yall.
    I was just thinking about hyper space.Or how one could travel faster than the speed of light.
    Well what if there is something faster than the speed of light.
    Like one of the other waves of light that exist.
    I beleive there are many different waves of light or radiation or what have you.Like infra-red rays,electromagnetic waves,X-rays, radio waves and all of those other forms of waves.
    I mean the theory of relativity states only that things would "appear" to go slower and then perhaps reverse.But thats because you would be going faster than light.
    The image is not the actual substance or material itself but only the reflected image of it by way of light.The light rebounds off the object and into the eye.
    So I could be wrong but I bet our normal light waves are not the fastest waves in existence.

We just have to catch a faster wave of energy dude!

Yes,no,maybe?
    Just a thought.

The mistake I was making for so long was mistaking the actual substance of the object for the reflected image.

Doing this confused me to think"well if actual time were to go backwards then........."but time would not be affected.And by that I mean all other matter besides the source of movement would stay the same and continue on its own level.Actual time/energy itself would not be affected,only the image to the travellers involved.
    No slowing of time involved.And no going back in time.
    However you sure could save alot of time traveling this fast, no.

HOW do we do this,,,heck if I know.
    But at least its good to know that it might be possible.
    Or I just don't know what I am talking about.Peace Out

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hahnemannian Registered Senior Member

Funny man.

I thought this was serious.

Google Aspect Experiment.

Such subjects come up in homeopathic research, for we use ultramolecular drugs and thus must attempt to grasp concepts like yours.

Aspect Experiment is just one of many.

Tachyon physics explains the wave phenomenon of the propogation of light, or why photons collapse back into particles after disintegrating into waves.

Virtual particles and the vacuum energy of empty space would also answer to the idea of "faster-than-light particles," but that's actually a misnomer, for you're missing the key element of them being non-physical or etheric particles since any particle traveling faster than the speed of light (SOL) would be etheric particles given that the SOL is the upper limit of the Physical Plane just as the inverse of Avogadro's number forms the lower limit.

You'll find me at TimOkay's discussions.

Good luck!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river-wind Valued Senior Member

These are all examples of electromagnetic waves, which I believe are simply differen frequencies of the same stuff which makes up visible light.

Nothing travels faster than light, supposedly, because light (and all electro magnetic radiation) is a particle of pure energy. anything which is not pure energy, ie part matter, will travel slower than the speed of light.

Not saying time travel isn't impossible, just pointing out that there are no "faster waves" as far as we know. they are all the same wave, just at different frequencies

But you never know, we could find a new type of wave (other than ME and compression waves) tomorrow, and the whole thing would change. Maybe you're right, and we just won't realise it for another 20 years

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hahnemannian:

<i>Google Aspect Experiment.

Such subjects come up in homeopathic research, for we use ultramolecular drugs and thus must attempt to grasp concepts like yours.</i>

Did you google "Aspect Experiment" yourself? It has nothing to do with drugs or homeopathic medicine.

<i>Tachyon physics explains the wave phenomenon of the propogation of light, or why photons collapse back into particles after disintegrating into waves.</i>

Does it? How does it explain photon collapse, exactly?

<i>Virtual particles and the vacuum energy of empty space would also answer to the idea of "faster-than-light particles," but that's actually a misnomer, for you're missing the key element of them being non-physical or etheric particles since any particle traveling faster than the speed of light (SOL) would be etheric particles given that the SOL is the upper limit of the Physical Plane just as the inverse of Avogadro's number forms the lower limit.</i>

Um...excuse me, but this doesn't seem to mean anything. (Maybe it's just me.)

8. Hahnemannian Registered Senior Member

No, I guess you have to have some brains to figure out such things.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Or perhaps you could just attempt to explain it a little differently rather than sinking to unwarranted personal attacks without a single point made to substantiate your absurd assumption that gives you your point of view.

Or, even better...
    You implied James has no brains...
    Prove him wrong with facts, math and reason and let him rebut.
    See who comes out on top.
    THIS ought to be fun.

(or can you not handle it?)

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hahnemannian,

Yes, I think you're right.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Is that some, ie a small amount, of brains, as opposed to, say, a headful of brains?

12. Backslash777 Unknown Registered Senior Member

We are Backslash777.
    Moementum7. We have followed the threads you have initiated and posts you have composed with interest.
    Your thread on exceeding the speed of light has a belief in harmony with our own but the method is different. We understand objects with mass can reposition to a far away destination faster than light however disagree that mass can exceed light speed.
    Consider travelling to a star by reducing distance, not by increasing speed above the boundaries of light speed.
    To explain in a more detailed manner consider that the straight three dimensional distance to Alpha Centuri from the solar system is 4.71 light years as the proverbial crow flies.
    Now contemplate the possibility of a shorter route achieved by passing through extra dimensions so far hidden from human kind by the limit of scientific understanding.
    To assist you to understand the possibility of an extra dimension the following explanation stays within the three dimensional limits of conventional human understanding.
    Picture a two dimensional being at one end of a piece of paper. The shortest distance to the opposite end is equal to the length of the paper. Add an extra dimension (our third) to that beings understanding and it may be surprised to learn the paper is actually curved with the opposite end 1.27cm above its present position.
    We understand this analogy is flawed as no creature could be constructed using any less than three dimensions. There would be no way for a two dimensional creature to ingest energy. Add a single artery and its structure is greatly weakened. Add a digestive tract to its anatomy and the creature would fall apart as there would be no way for the two parts to hold together.

13. Maharajah Registered Senior Member

I agree with backslash777. The shortest distance between 2 points is NOT a straight line, its a wormhole, which theoretically would provide instantaneous transportation to any point regardless of distance.

14. darktr00per Registered Senior Member

look into quantum mechanics--several particles are known to phase shift through dimensions and share information with eachother--the whole concept for quantum computers