Please Heed My Advice And Save Yourselves.

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Squashbuckler, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

I used to love eastern philosophy. My best friends(and myself) used to practice zen buddhism. Please heed my advice, and read the one book that will save you, and change your life forever.
    If you care about your well-being, youll read it, if you dont, then, you cannot be helped anyway.
    My friend refuses to read it. He prefers to run from his fear and practice an irrational discipline: Buddhism.

READ THIS : " For the new intelectual" By AYN RAND.

READ ANYTHING BY AYN RAND.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SG-N Registered Senior Member

I didn't know her before. Her ideas are interesting :
    Pffff... Your friend is right!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. oscar confusoid Registered Senior Member

Eastern ideas are hard to digest, especially for us Westies. Personally I do not subscribe to any religion or to any specific belief but for sure its tricky to get something out of everything

Belief is just belief, don't let it alienate you. Experience will reveal the path that you are to follow

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Canute Registered Senior Member

Squash - You're entitled to your opinion. However sooner or later you are going to have to explain to everybody why you think Buddhism is nonsense rather than just endlessly assert it. This is a discussion forum, not a soapbox.

8. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

You can't say you didn't try.
    www.aynrand.org
    Cant help everybody.
    hahahaha
    I am crazy enough to believe in myself.
    Peace Out

Squash,...it is an inebitable fact, that we will end up spending less and less time on these boards.
    Who would have guesed that knowledge is possible?
    No way.We cant know and understand our own existence .......
    It is never going to happen.
    If it was true then everybody that has even doubted it before us would have to accept that it is possible to have a rational,practical,usable,powerful,unavoidable,use for there own existence and everything in it.

Life can't be that simple,can it?
    No way.Can't be.
    Life can't have an awnser.
    Life can't have an awnser.
    What would that mean if life had an awnser?

No more denial.
    No more pretending.
    No more half ass efforts.
    No more excuses.
    No more seperateness.
    No more guessing,wondering,hoping.
    I am finding less and less of a reason to add to these threads.
    I know that this is probly easier for some of you who would never want to be able to define they're own lives.
    I digress.

If Objectivity never makes it to the history books,.....there wont be any history books.
    I am done.
    Your welcome.Think.
    For yourself,....and anybody that concerns you.
    Life can't be understood.
    We have been taught this.
    What would that mean if life had an awnser?
    It can't be possible.
    Me or you are definitely not worthy of beibng able to conceive of our own worthiness.
    Live.
    Get stronger.
    Think for your self.
    Because everybody else wants to do it for you.
    AHHHHHHHH!
    Life can't be understood.
    It can't be.
    Right?
    Look!
    I hope to see you in this life time.
    Any comments on objectivism please do not hesitate to ask.
    That is just a name by the way.(objectivism)
    Something is there,here,right now,constantly,in front of you,look,focus,study that which is always there,you are,I am,enough.

9. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

=)

I like you moe,

If you want to talk to another great woman, talk to lucysnow.
    Her and I have private discussions all of the time.

Perhaps ill just sit in the corner from now on, and look "inward". Ill try to remove all of my thoughts, grant love to everyone and everything. Sacrifice myself to the world and eliminate the sense of "I". Nothing can be known, everything is subjective. A is not A. If i remove my mind, ill reach a state of nirvana.

However, I dont think I want to end up like peter keating.

Second thought, Ill stick to policing and actually making a difference, as opposed to sitting in that corner, wishing , and praying for world peace.

10. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Thanks.

11. Canute Registered Senior Member

Cowards.

12. spookz Banned Banned

it is shit like this that will turn this here forum to the religious one. either back your play or get out
    no fucking trolling allowed in here

were there not more posts here? what happened?

13. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

canute
    name calling.........suits you.

14. Canute Registered Senior Member

I thought there were as well.

As for people 'backing their plays' it appears that some people prefer faith and zealotry to reason and discussion. Shame, it's an interesting topic.

15. VitalOne Banned Banned

Objectivism in my opinion, sucks. It basically says that all reality has to do with is material things. But our mind creates the material things, which collapses the whole philosophy. Material things are really just electrical signals interpreted by our brains, nothing more. The only things that truly exists are our minds...

16. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

are you saying your mind creates a rock? or are you saying that the rock doesnt exist?
    Your mind and your conceptual faculty perceive the rock, then label it as a "rock"

"It basically says that all reality has to do with is material things."

If reality isnt the defined, what is it then? the unknown and unexplainable?
    Are you prepared to live your life with an abstract code of morality based on the abstract?

Your life is about managing, and dealing with REALITY.
    If your crops dont grow. You dont pray, you deal with the reality.

The rock isnt there but you touched it.
    The rock isnt a rock, who knows what it could be?
    IT isnt there, but my mind says its there.

MATERIAL THINGS ARE VERY MUCH THERE!

If you were hit with a truck, you wouldnt say " up! it wasnt REALLY there, my mind just said it was there"

Think conceptual faculty.
    The law of identity.

17. VitalOne Banned Banned

I'm saying both. Your mind creates the rock...so it doesn't physically exist. It exist only in your mind. I guess dreams are also real, and so are hallucinations...wait thats right they're not real...they were just created by our minds. "Reality" is just another word for a constant dream or illusion. Without the mind, nothing exists. If everyone was deaf, blind, and paralyzed then nothing that we precieve would "exist".

I could believe that, if there was any proof. Your only proof is that you can percieve it with your senses. But your senses are just electrical signals. So material things are just signals interpreted by our brains. If you want me to define physical reality, it is what your brain creates using your 5 senses.

18. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Hey vital,I am saying this with absolute respect....
    I guess if you stand in front of a semi-truck......your mind would be all over the front of it,...or is that just in your mind too?

19. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

brain

your brain does not create the rock. Your task is to identify and label it.
    integrate it into your existence, then decide what it will do for your survival as man.

20. VitalOne Banned Banned

Just in your mind too. And, I'm not sure, but pretty sure that your mind won't be over (won't test this).

So in a dream, the rock is real and your task is to identify and label it and intergrate it into your existence? And who is to say that that is our task? If your brain does not create the rock then why do you need sight, and touch for the rock to "be". Without them, it would not exist. Your brain creates what you see and what you touch. Objectivism basically says look to material things for happiness.

21. Squashbuckler Registered Senior Member

objectivism

Read the ayn rand lexicon for a complete understanding.
    Objectivisim deals with logic.
    Logic is non-contradictory identification.

Hey vital,I am saying this with absolute respect.... I guess if you stand in front of a semi-truck......your mind would be all over the front of it,...or is that just in your mind too?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just in your mind too.

Objectisivm is dealing with the reality and relating it to human survival.

Forget about dreams, they are irrelevant to your survival.

22. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

This thread cannot possibly be serious. The notion that anything by Ayn Rand can "save" anyone is preposterous. Why? Simple: Look at the author. Before you read Rand, you must understand her life history. You must understand and factor the effects of communism on her childhood. Once you understand this, realize then that the label "objectivism" is ironic, and an oxymoron-- when related to her.

The beauty of her one great novel, The Fountainhead, outside the obvious romaticism, her reckless obsession with the superman, and lack of realism, is that the author is the real-life realization of her abstraction, Ellsworth Toohey.

Also, there is this quote, which is pure genius: "Surely, you've seen through that particular stupidity. I mean the one that claims the pig is the symbol of love for humanity----the creature that accepts anything. As a matter of fact, the person who loves everybody and feels at home everywhere is the true hater of mankind. He expects nothing of men, so no form of depravity can outrage him"----Wynard

23. VitalOne Banned Banned

So you're saying , just think about your survival? Lie, cheat , steal, and kill for survival? Do whatever you need to survive? Thats kind of pointless. Objectvism teaches to instead of looking into the non-material things for happiness look to the material things. Don't care about someone's personality, care about there appearance, that is what really matters since its material. Objectivism teaches that only material things in this world matter. It teaches that being greedy is good for survival. Don't help others, that would sacrificing yourself to them. Don't show compassion for others. It is true that knowledge is a matter of opinion, no one can be certain of anything. But in objectivism, all knowledge is either true or false. Even though all reality is subjective, objectivism rejects subjectvism because it would collapse the whole idea of objectivism. Objectivism also rejects altruism, which states that the highest good is service to others.