Dianetics

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Chuckster, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Chuckster Registered Member

I was wondering who here has read this book and what you think about it. I am about half way through and I think its fascinating.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Warning - This book aims only to suck you into giving money to the Scientology cult. In fact, I bet you've already paid money to get the book.

Dianetics is Lafayette Ron Hubbard's sci-fi fantasy - the basis on which he started his "religion". Be aware that the only real purpose of Scientology is to make money for its leaders. Everything else is a smokescreen.

If you're really interested in the human mind, try reading some real science, such as "How the mind works" by Steven Pinker. There's an immense literature based on real psychology. Lafayette is just telling you stories.

But don't take my word for it. Do some searching on the web using the search terms "scientology" and "cult". You'll find all kinds of accounts from people who have lost their life savings to this organisation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chuckster Registered Member

I thought it was the basis for scientology. In the copy I have, at least, it hasn't said anything about scientology. I think it sounds really interesting though.

(I won't give ANY money to scientology)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

By the time you've finished you'll realise that Mr Hubbard was insane or you'll go running to your nearest CoS.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It may sound interesting, but it's based on nothing but imagination. There's no real science there, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of statements which aim to make you feel good about yourself, and probably about Lafayette and his associates at the Church of Scientology.

9. Abnak Registered Senior Member

Chuckster , I would say , educate yourself about scientology ( or any other subject for that matter ) for only then will you be able to try to distingish between truth from nonsense .

Scientologists adhere to much nonsense . In this regard they are not much different then say ....Episcopalians .

10. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I read it about 5 years ago. Saw the commercials and thought it was a scientific book. He makes so many claims about pures/brights/whatever they were called, but has never backed a single one up.

The rest just seemed like pop-pshyc.

11. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

yup. all a smoke screen. but what you dont know is that this "truth" you claim is behind the screen is the reall screen! u think u got past the smoke screen but that was just to make u think u finished! the head sof scientolgy actually worship alongside me around our kthonian altar and call for blasphemous deamons and elder shoggoths!

- whats that? i wasnt sopoed to tell em? SHIT! -

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It's allot of bullshit if you ask my opinion. It seems all Hubbard wants is to control people and get their money by selling his own psycho babble ! It's like any religion, you give your money to those in charge for doing absolutly nothing for you .

13. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

So whats the basis of dianetics for those of you who know it well enough to dispute it.
    Is there any residue of useful ideas.
    Anything at all?

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Lets say after reading this piece of garbage I threw the book into the trash where it belongs. It is nothing more than trying to convince people that they are better than anyone else because they believe in Hubbards ideas and theories. I'd say they are suckers and fools to listen to his crap, but then again , I'm only a person with common sense.

15. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

ive read bits and pieces, and basically its a masterpiece of taking all teh self help books you can, as well as anything from general semantics to behaviourism, and mixing it all up into a book to hook people.
    If your agin scientology, go to www.xenu.net