Immanent and Transcendent Sociology

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Taffy Wake, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

hey there.
    i'm wondering if any of you have truly got your head around the difference between the two. is the essence that one has God as a higher power and the other does not? i'm curious that people like marx and weber were transcendent sociologists but quite clearly not theists....got any thoughts?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ele Registered Senior Member

I am not sure of the definitions of immanenyt and transcendant you are using. my guess would be that transcendent involves looking from an overall perspective outside the sttructure at what goes on with in it and because of it and in that sense transcends the structure. I would guess that immanent sociology would be more focussed on actual reality and relationships between people in situstions such as particular workplaces and understandinga nd describing them through application of analysis and theory.

I ahve absolutely no idea if i am correct. It also may be a distinction based on from within (immanent) rather than outside.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

sorry ele but it's really a question for someone who has studied sociology rather than simply using a dictionary definition. thanks anyway.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ele Registered Senior Member

taffy, just trying to help. i've studied some fields that mnay vbe related at uni and have a limited knowlkedge of sociology but i am sorry you are so disappointed with my response. I thought transcendence and immanence were to do with the ways things were known, and i have studied in that area.

8. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

Taffy Wake
    here is a free pass to get the ball rolling
    study behaviour psychology and some cultural and some anthropology
    then start re-reading what you have already read from those you have quoted to be in context of your question of definition

good luck
    groove on

9. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

thanks for the tip riple of death-been there done that. i was really looking for someone who had studied social theory to have a bit of a discussion with me.

thanks anyway.