Deja Vu?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Nivao, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

Every now and then I'll say something and get a response from somebody, but, I'll swear the words have been said before.

Is this deja vu? And, if so, what causes it?

:bugeye:

-Nivao
    Ghost of Mirkwood

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

it's a curious question that i would also like to know the answer to. several days ago, i had two solid days where almost every experience caused me to sense a feelig of deja vu. i've never had that before. have you had that? any insight?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

What you describe really like déjà-vu, Nivao.
    It is commonly believed that the feeling of déjà-vu results from a erroneous activation of certain parts of the brain that relate impressions with the experience of time.
    Persons suffering from temporal lobe epilepsy have a much higher incidence of déjà-vu than other persons. (P.S. the temporal lobe is roughly that part of the brain directly behind the ears.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

Nivao

through my research i have found a strong correlation to
    the concept of stimulation as
    Merlijn
    is refering to the time factor that also has a part to play but only
    a part and helps to ellude from the overall cause and effect

i would suggest you start to research diet and see how you can inprove your diet and look to start more hobbies and things not relating to the computer
    start an exercise program if you do not already have one
    no matter how small it might be

groove on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spoilsport Registered Senior Member

I find talk of deja vu. Simply put, I have it a hell of a lot. Not every day, but usually at least once a week and at times a lot more frequently. Never really thought of it as a problem, just a jarring perception that something has happened before. Sometimes I really think I dreamed, but it is impossible for me to know.

Anyways, I don't think I have temporal lobe epilepsy (of course, I don't know what that is either). I know I've never had any sort of seizure or anything. It's just one of those things that I thought everyone had.

9. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

spoilsport,
    I believe (nearly) everybody as déjà-vu's. Some more often than others. Also, adolescents and young adults more often than others experience a déjà-vu.
    It's only that in general those with temporal-lobe epilepsy have a higher incidence. No worry, I think you would have noticed if you also had any type of epilepsy.
    C'est tout.

10. orange Registered Senior Member

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question657.htm

Hey, wait a second.. didn't I just write this 10 minutes ago?!

11. Frieda Registered Senior Member

does that mean that having a deja-vu is having an epileptic attack? are there any other symptoms of temporal lobe epileptic attacks?

12. Chuckster Registered Member

Has anyone here had deja vu of having deja vu? I've had one deja vu that I have had 3-4 times. I don't remember this except when I get it though, so I have no idea what it is. I will write it down next time.....

13. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

it would also be interesting to hear more about the opposite, when a familiar stimulus suddenly feels new. it has a french name, and it's NOT nightja vu (as suggested by a very unwitty friend). can anyone remember it? i think it maybe has an origin in the brain similar to the area that is responsible for capgras syndrome. has anyone here read oliver sacks?

14. Chuckster Registered Member

I believe its Jamais Vu. The feeling that you've never ever done anything like this before. I have never had a strange feeling like this. Has anyone here?

15. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

i've had it several times chuckster. it happens when i'm doing something that i've done many times before, something repetitive and monotonous-like shuffling cards or juggling. i just forget how to do it and it all seems strange.

but now that i think about it, maybe that's not exactly the same...what do you think?

16. Chuckster Registered Member

So when you get it, do you forget how to do whatever it is you are doing? Do you stop juggling, or just think that is strange?

17. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I have had instances of dreams, which were recoderded at the time I had them, coming true. this was most certainly not a temporal lobe signalling error, as I have recorded evidence that the dream occured a significant period of time before the events took place in the real world.

While I bet most occurances of deja vu are due to temporal lobe problems, I don't discount the possibility of something else going on.

18. Suicidalcarrot15 Registered Member

My sympathies to the poor fool who actually cares... ill give you some deja vu though, i bet if you look through this website youll see similliar things like this:

I HATE GEEKS, GET SOME FRESH AIR, THINK ABOUT MAYBE HAVING A LIFE.

thank you.

drink up me 'earties yo ho.

lenne

19. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

Deja Vu is fun. It makes life spicy.

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

How could knowingly doing something again (probably for the billionth cycle) make "life spicy", if anything it's a suggestion to a hidden monotony of endlesss repartition which luckily enough for yourself your blissfully unaware, however if you were ever to be fully made aware perhaps you would understand what immortality would feel like.

21. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Doaism. If you choose to see things that you have done and seen before as fresh and exciting, your boring, repetative life will seem much more worthwhile.

as for Deja Vu - I've had a few cases where I dreampt things, written them down or told friends about them, and then they occur a month to years later. No doubt that the medical condition of thinking that you have expirienced things before occurs, however it seems to me, that certain things may really be foresee-able. Whether this is supernatural, or just due to very good(or lucky) prediction-making brain is very much under debate.
    I foresee that I'm going to eat dinner tonight. I will cook it, feel the wait of the pan in my hand smell the vegtables broiling, etc. If I image this event in enough detail, based on my personal expirience of cooking vegtables, plus the knowledge of what I have available in my fridge, I could visualise the event of making dinner tonight with such detail that when it actually happens, it will feel like I've done it before. No magic there, just imagination and logic.