Don't beleieve in Love?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by one_raven, Jul 11, 2003.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Tell me why.

I am working on my screenplay, and I am on a scene with four people arguing their concepts of love, monogamy etc...
    I want it to be a very balanced argument, in that I would not completely agree with any one of them, but they all make very convincing arguments, and my truth lying in balance between the four of them.

The problem I am having is faithfully and convincingly representing the views of the one who does not believe in love.

Do you have any convincing arguments against the existence of love?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Sorry I don't have a convinving argument, but for the sake of the subject;

I believe people feel love, but I don't believe it actually is some magical force. Its surpisingly easy to fall in love, this is because your subconscious(sp?) triggers a "you'll do" mechanism and you become completely infatuated with whichever person is willing to use you as a reproductive device.

So yeah I think love is just natures way of tricking us into having babies. I'm usually a fan of nature but I think this is a rather cheap move. I want answers, What is so important about breeding? Why is every living thing being brainwashed into doing it? What is the long term goal?
    Doesn't this bother anyone else? Have you ever wondered WHY you are interested in sex? Its a huge natural conspiracy I tell ya!
    I better go lie down, these cold and flu tablets are more powerful than I thought...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

One Raven,

Track down XEV. She could give you a good argument that slanders the value of love. I, on the other hand, think it is the best thing a person can offer to another in this world.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's funny you say that.
    The more I get to know this character.
    Her nuances, behaviors and details...
    The more she reminds me of Xev.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe Xev will have some good insight into her.

Xev, you reading this?
    Any pointers?

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Dr. Lou:
    It's natural selection - people who are infatuated with reproduction reproduce more. What a vicious fucking circle.
    I know how you feel. I think about sex way too much of the time - it sounds like a joke but it's true. If I had no libido, I'd have so much more time to devote to my studies.

On the other hand, don't knock sex too much. As the Marquis de Sade put it:
    "Sexual pleasure is, I agree, a passion to which all others are subordinate but in which they all unite."

It's a comforting thought. We owe our brains, after all, to the fact that the hominids who thought more often also fucked more often, and survived to raise the products.

one_raven:
    "Love" definitely exists - I can't see how anyone would argue that it doesn't when you can show the neurochemicals at work.

Whether "love" is anything more than a way to get dumb, sexually insecure chicks to fuck you remains to be shown.

It comes down to your definition of love. I doubt the sort of thing I see on the tv - Leonardo DiCaprio on the Titanic - exists. I think it's more a sort of imprinting on whoever you're fucking at the time.

If you mean a sort of passion for another person's mind, a desire to explore and experience them, then yes, that exists because I feel it.

So really, it's a non-question?

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Xev,

For the character, I think, it is more of a question of what the difference is between when you say you love your mother/fathher/sister/friend (pick someone) and when you say you are "in love" with someone.
    The validity of that "in love" state.
    Whether that state of romantic love is seperate and above platonic love.

Let me show you HER thoughts on it...
    Well, this is not structured or formatted in any real way.
    I just sort of rambled on while inside the character, and put down her thoughts on "love", to try and get a basic feeling of how she sees it...

10. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

If there is no love then why are people getting married and staying together?:bugeye:

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Wow. You are right. I stand corrected.

12. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

I was not trying too correct you. I was asking. Why are they? I see no reason for them too.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Security. Dependence. Tradition. Lust. Money. Status. Pleasing others. Insecurity. Foolishness. Religion. Wanting a bracelt on your arm. Obsession. Tired of dating. No longer able to get laid as easily as the past...

The list goes on and on.

There are many excuses for getting married.
    And probably one or two good reasons, too.

14. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

Those are all stupid reasons . Doesnt lust come after love. natural too really want the person you love no? What the heck is obsession anyways? how can you obsses over someone you dont love?

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Obviously.
    That's kind of the point.
    It doesn't mean that people don;t marry for stupid reasons.
    I think they do more often than not.

No.
    Sometimes it may STILL come after love, but Lust is almost invariably first.

I don't understand the question.

Being preoccupied with someone/something to the point of it being unhealthy.
    The compulsive need to own/posess/be near/experience someone/something.
    An unhealthy insatiable desire.

Quite easily.
    Easier, in fact, if you don't even know them since you don't have to deal with the reality of the situation.
    Have you ever heard of someone that is obsessed with a celebrity or artist?
    Do you really think that person is actually in love with them?:bugeye:

Curious:
    Did you read this whole thread?

16. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

How about when "someone" thinks they are in love .Maybe a school location . They love the person but have never spoken too them? is this love or obssession? You can love someone and not know them cant you?

Yes I have read the thread. I just dont care. I like too stray off into my own little ideas. Even if they dont go along with the thread(too lazzy too start my own

).

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I guess that depends on if you think that is possible.

Obsession has very little to do with whether or not you know someone.
    You can know someone very well and be obsessed too.

Well, I guess that depends on your definition of love, doesn't it?
    What is your definition of love?

18. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

Its that feeling you get for someone. Maybe its that chemical smell thing people are now talking about. I dont know. Speeds heart rate up and knocks speech out. Eyes look really really black and um "nice"(CANT EXPLAIN IT MORE THEN THAT). Everything is perfect about them. Even the damn choice of clothing seems perfect . There abviously is lust. Constant thought of the person. Lack of care for anything else. You can tell its mutual also.

Short definition of it. I thinnk personality has NOTHING to do with it.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Interesting definition of love you have there.

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Pheromones?

21. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

I think thats what they are called. Dont ask me. I dont know.

22. Xev Registered Senior Member

PYN:
    You're an idiot. Kill yourself before you further befoul my planet.

One Raven:
    It's different, but not above.
    Unobtrusive is the love of our friend. Our affection for him, and his for us, is almost unknown to us both.
    A lover...oscillates between being our master and being our slave. What does he ask of us but everything? Our love is a universe, but our friend is a meadow. What does he ask of us but that we surpass him?

As for that "in love" state, I don't value it at all. Even the person we love and fuck, we are not always "in love" with.

I suppose I'm a Scythian indeed - I believe in a permanence and fidelity to my relationships. Even in love. For me, over-valuing that masochistic adoration would be to under-value the most important thing about a relationship - affinity of mind.

She's spot on, especially about men who "have potential". I wish I could slowly dismember everyone who has said that.
    Well, not completely right, but close.

23. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

I think I rather stay here and befoul "YOUR" planet.