TUS-A1. The Amazing Disappearing Finger

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Xenu, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

The Unscientific Sciences

Note: This is a multi-threaded discussion. Please read the *Introduction* thread, if you haven't already, so that you know the main topic and format of these threads.
    A. (to chapter)

A1 - The Amazing Disappearing Finger

This is a demonstration on perception. We will talk about what's going on behind this demo and how it relates to this Perception Chapter later, but for right now just have fun with this demonstration.

You don't need to be a magician to make your finger vanish from sight, just follow these simple steps.

1) Extend your arms all the way outward in front of you, with your two index fingers pointing straight up. Make sure your fingers are at about eye level. (finger1.gif)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2) Close your left eye. Focus your right eye on your left finger.

3) Now very slowly move your right finger straight to the right, while your right eye is still focused on your left finger. Your right finger will begin to go into the peripheral vision of your right eye. (finger2.gif)

4) Abracadabra, the top of your finger disappears. You won't have to move it very far in order to do this, only about 5-10 inches. (finger3.gif)

We'll talk about why this happens later, right now just try this out and see if you can get this demonstration to work for you.

UPDATE 7/13/03

Here's a couple of tips to help make this work better for you...

1) Try watching your fingers over a plain background, or a patterned background.

2) Try moving your fingers up and down very slowly, while keeping your right eye on your left finger. If your fingers are too high or too low then, you might miss the disappearing spot.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. moving Registered Senior Member

Wow that's cool, you can still see the backround behind the finger. Or at least I THINK I still see the backround. Does it have something to do with the arrangment of optical nerves (or rods and cones or photon sensors or whatever they're called) in the eyeball?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

It has to do with your optical nerve, maybe just not in the fashion you would expect. It's called "the blind spot" and it is there because there are no cones or rods on the optical nerve. The brain compensates for this and fills the space out.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Odd, it didn't work for me.

8. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

It should, if you are a human that is.

Try it again and make sure you follow each step completely. Make sure your left eye is closed (won't work if it's open) and keep your right eye focused on your left finger. Also move your right finger very slowly; the disappearing gap can be quite small at the extended arm distance.

Anders,

You are right, but i wanted some more people to try it out before we start going into the "whys" behind this.

9. blocalsteve Registered Senior Member

A slightly easier way to see this effect is to get a piece of coloured paper. It doesn't have to be coloured, but a coloured paper shows the 'filling-in' more impressively.

Put a black mark such as a cross on the paper about the size of a fingernail. Roughly two inches either side of the cross place two more black dots of similar size so you have an
    o + o arrangement.

Cover either eye with one hand, and move the paper away from your face slowly while focusing on the cross between the dots.

At some point one of the dots vanishes and the brain fills in the place where the dot should be with the surrounding colour.

Paper with a texture or some such thing on it is even better as you tend to get the pattern as well. Gently adjust the paper and you can hold it in place well enough to study the fill effect closely.

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I can still see my finger. Perhaps I am special

(BTW.. I did this many times. Most perception activities do not work with me. Like I said, I am special. Very very special... lmao)

James Sibley

11. moving Registered Senior Member

Here’s another example of misperception. Look at the picture what do you see?

http://www.magiceye.com

Without knowing any more about it, we might be content to think it’s just a bunch of roses. But if you know that there’s more to it you would study it more closely. And if you know it’s a Stereogram you would know how to decipher it and get all the information from it.
    But what if we didn’t know anything about it, and it was just a bunch of roses. At what point do we stop analyzing it, we would not know when to stop. So we would not know if we had gleaned all the information from it.

12. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

blocalsteve,

It would be fun to experiment with different designs of paper, and see what kind of distortions there are.

4D,

It should work for you, it's a natural effect of how our vision system works. Another tip is to try moving your hands together slowly up and down, while focusing on the left finger. If you have your hands too high or low, you can miss your blindspot.

moving,

It took me a few years before I was able to get those magic eye things. Now I can do it fairly easy. It's a good example of showing how you can trick the brain into seeing things that isn't there.

13. moving Registered Senior Member

I would say it's an example of training your brain to see something that IS there.

14. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

moving,

If I draw a 3d box on a 2d surface like so...

Is that 3d box really there? It's just a bunch of lines and colors on a 2d surface is it not? I can't grab it or manipulate it. It's just an image on paper. I can't move it around and get a different perspective. We create an illusion of 3d by tricking our brains.

It's the same with the magic eye. In the image of the roses you linked to, there is no 3d heart, it's just a trick to get the brain to see something that isn't really there. An illusion.

15. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I can't see out of my right eye....

16. moving Registered Senior Member

Yes but it conveys the description of a box. The data on the 2D suface describes a box and our brain deciphers it as a box not lines and colors. The data was encoded onto the paper then decoded by the brain. The box is not there but the information about the box is. In the case of the MagicEye pictures the extra information is not automatically decoded by the brain.

17. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Physiology of the Blindspot

Ok let's go into why this disappearing finger happens. Anders gave a pretty good start above. Down below is a diagram of the internal workings of an eye. (blindspot.gif)

At the back wall is the retina. It's kind of like large netting of cells. Within the retina are the photoreceptors we use to see things, for instance rods and cones. They pick up light that enters the eye. These receptors send what they detect to the brain along ganglions (kind of like long wires).

All of these ganglions from the receptors meet up at what's called the Optic Nerve (see the diagram). The optic nerve is nothing more than a giant mass of these ganglions (or a whole bunch of wires) that carries all of the sensory information needed to see to the brain.

Now at the spot of the retina where all of the ganglions meet and form the optic nerve, no photoreceptors are able to form. This spot is labeled the Blind Spot on the diagram. So any light that falls on this spot isn't detected, since there aren't any receptors there to detect it.

So the next question is, if there are a blindspots why don't you just see two holes in our vision? In the finger experiment above, why do you still see a background even when the finger enters into the blindspot?

18. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

If you can't see in your right eye then flip-flop everything. All "right"s become "left"s and so on.

It seems we are arguing the same thing from two different perspectives

I do understand your point of view, and if we talked long enough we'd arrive at the same place. So I'm going to leave it at that.

19. moving Registered Senior Member

agreed

20. moving Registered Senior Member

moving stereogram

21. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I really can't

I was just being difficult by mentioning it!

22. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Ah, two reasons the finger thing didn't work for me.

1) I was going too fast. It only disappears for about a finger width.
    2) My walls are beige. It only worked when I did it infront of my blue sofa. (I guess the color was too similar)