THINKfast

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Absane, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Going to www.brain.com, one can buy a program called THINKfast. Has anyone ever tried it? I bought it the other day and I have noticed that my thinking is faster all ready. Also, after each run, I feel energetic.

If anyone has this, how does it work for you? What level are you at?

James Sibley

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

First things first - you have to understand how the brain works. Speed of the signal is primarily dependant on the myelin sheath (which is something you can't conventionally change.) Speed of the transmission is something controlled by neurotransmitters.

It's not really possible to change either of those things noticeably with a computer program alone. What you can do is develop the connections better in a certain area of the brain so that signals can travel a shorter path and tehrefore seem faster. So technically, it's not making you think faster.

You can get even better results at the library.. or behind a gas station. Bran.com only sells gimmicks.

Oh -- and there are a lot of great threads dealing with the subject on both the bio/human science forums. Good reads.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How can you explain that I am getting faster? I do not think they are changing the brain chemistry but making shorter connections. I think somewhere in the program they tell you that.

James Sibley

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I remember hearing about the program through some spam. Not exactly sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure it just exercises connections, because as you use the connections, the myelin sheath also changes to transmit the signals more effectively. Shorter connections are also created.

How do they say it works?

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

The file says it helps connect more dendrites and helps correct "neural fuzz." Also challenge left/right brain communications.

I have noticed that I can type faster... hehe.

James Sibley

9. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I think by "thinking fast" you mean thinking clearer, more focused, more alert.

I have not heard of this program, what kind of exercises does it have?

10. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

I couldn't get past the first stage; the link didn't work.

11. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

If you wanna train your brain (wow that even rhymes). Then play FPS games

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

THINKfast works to also help the person playing the games get more focused. It is weird how the program knows that when you are "in the zone" or whatnot. Basically, they check the SD of your scores and how many errors you make.

To see what exercies it has, go here:
    http://www.brain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=thinkfast

They have 6 games plus some bonus games that come up when you play a few more games.

James Sibley

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I have noticed my reaction time has increased in the few day I had it. I averaged 233 ms when I started... in a few days, I have lowered that to 216 ms. Before I had the program, my reaction time was the same as tested by random programs online.

James Sibley

14. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

After playing counter-strike I've managed to come down to a best reaction time at 120ms and an 150-160ms average.

15. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

I'll play you any day!

ph33r my 1337 glock usage!

16. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

17. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I see one possible confound. Maybe it's not so much that you are thinking faster, but you are just getting better at all the little games. The program measures performance and not thinking speed, which may or maynot be causal of each other.

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, but to play the games well it depends on your brain's ability to think. Refining that, you refine your gaming skills.

Well, the program does measure brain speed. They convert it to mHz (millihertz). it is based on how fast you react and its calculations on how quickly your brain can process the information.

19. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

But your gaming skills may not translate to other forms of thinking. i.e. I could play Unreal Tournament for years, but it doesn't mean I'll shoot a real gun any better.

No, once again the program only measures your preformance on the tests. The program doesn't hook your brain up to the computer to see how fast it goes. Besides real neural conduction times aren't measured in mHz. Performance doesn't necessarily measure speed. It may measure experience and learning. It may be just that you are getting better at the game, not a faster thinker in general.

20. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

Well if we define faster thinker as one who has the exact same capacity as somebody else only does it a tad faster it's a pretty useless discussion. You couldn't really boost your synapses and nerves to transport signals faster by any significant amount naturally. So the only thing left worth talking about is how efficient any one brain can arrange itself to process information and reach decitions faster than another.

21. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I believe that is what the program does... it does not make sense for the brain to transmit faster. I am sure there are ways to do so, but requires things like eating healthier.. maybe.

However, it does make sense to have the brain work more efficient pathways to solve problems such as reacting to random stimulus. Just work on shortening the auditory nerves and visual nerves to the motor section of the brain (for a physical reaction).

James Sibley

22. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

If it is possible it most certainly involves either a synthesized drug or a compound found in nature.

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I believe caffeine makes the brain transmit faster. I know I can think real fast with it. I highly doubt my brain is growing better connections while caffeine is in my system just so I can think faster. If it did, I would be thinking fast all the time, right?