What does Survival mean to you?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Guyute, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Survival........the strong versus the weak........My question is simple, humen nature/survival and what survival means to other people. Does the the defination of survival vary from person to person......my veiws are simple, survival is essential and it is basically the strong vs the weak...........I would like to know what survival means to you. Please write.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well survival can be viewed in two different ways....social term and a scientific term. If evolution is true...(well it is rather popular with you damn science teens and your MTV)...then selective pressure put on you by the enviroment causes you to be a evolutionary bitch......survive or die but that hardly is under our control...i mean we don't know when we evolve or what new things come unto us. In social terms you get into the buisness aspects of "corporate ladder"....social aspects of "dog eat dog".....that is under our control but i think all that competion in the social field in deep rooted in our ancestrial roots to survive, be challenged, to fight, to hunt...but not in your animal terms but in human terms...hunting as in "matrialistic and social status"...we work our ass off for money and animals work their ass off for food.

So survival for me means the same as what it means for animals......except we have taken survival in our species to a different playing field.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Ah, Well put Sarge

........Anyone else?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't say so much that survival is strong vs. the weak. Biologically, for humans, it was more like "the smart vs. the dumb". Also, for humans "working together" was a very important factor. Our evolutionary decendants were very weak creatures. Our survival was rooted on creating tools, and language.

Survival is a selfish thing. Over time our decendants worked with each other, but most of the time for each of their own individual survivals.

However today, in the more "well off" industrial societies, survival isn't such an issue (probably because we prey on less well off societies

). We have freed up time to devote to other things. I think as humans, we are still tied to our biological pasts, but we can also break from this and become more cultured, humanistic people. Instead of putting ourselves to be the first in line, we can put other humans, other creatures, and our environment first.

8. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

ah....yes i needed that.....as always thank you xenu...

9. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

to me survival means success. i'm fortunate enough to live in a place when survival is not meant literally. it is terrible that people have to live in conditions in which they have to fight for their literal survival....and even worse there are places where they cannot even fight, they can only sit back and let fate decide.

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I would argue that ultimately anything you do is putting yourself first.

11. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I would say that we are hardwired for such things as reciprocal giving, etc. But I think we can break that and do altruistic things.

Damn, I'm turning into an optimist.

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Does that make my cynical if I say that regardless of the action (even altruism) you are still putting yourself first?

13. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

No, it doesn't make you necessarily cynical, just realistic.

14. sparkle born to be free Registered Senior Member

survival of weaklings

Survival in the country I work in means shutting up. You say a thing and out you are of our wonderful gene-pool. People are scared sh…less and this has had big impacts on society and how it functions. You divide your friends into different groups, based on confidence. With one group you can tell political jokes, with the other you can be more outspoken. However, the majority of people starts looking over their shoulder once the word “government” is mentioned. In one sense, survival here is both survival of the strongest AND the weakest at the same time.:bugeye:

15. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Guyute ...

Three hots and a cot.

Anything more is a gift.

:m:

:m:

16. invisibleone Registered Senior Member

survival is. . .

survival is suffering. . . and attempting to fight off what is ultimately inevitable (our own demise).